What I think fair pay should be.

Detention should match what you'd make driving. They're preventing you from earning money by dicking around on the dock.

I averaged about $35/hr at Schneider when driving. We were paid mileage plus load. Any time I was sitting for detention at $15/hr I was losing $20/hr for X number of hours of my shift. A 7 hour detention meant $105 (not 135) compared to $245. And you're suggesting I should be okay with $35 instead of $245.

Sitting in a day cab doesn't reset your hours and give you a paid nap to roll fresh. You have a hard limit for your shift. You still gotta get back and then your earning capacity is done for the day.
In a day cab I agree,but we're talking OTR. Otr you get paid to drive and take care of the load. Ill say this,we ran from VA to SC for 2 days and made 700$ we normally sat 3 hours to get unloaded IF there was nobody infront of us. We made 0$ for sitting there and the company made 0$ too,it's near impossible to get places to give you 30$ an hour sitting.

In a day cab I agree,but we're talking OTR. Otr you get paid to drive and take care of the load. Ill say this,we ran from VA to SC for 2 days and made 700$ we normally sat 3 hours to get unloaded IF there was nobody infront of us. We made 0$ for sitting there and the company made 0$ too,it's near impossible to get places to give you 30$ an hour sitting.
The way I see it is if I'm not able to go Off Duty and actually sleep continuously, I should be paid for it.

I know it's nearly impossible to get $30/hr detention but that doesn't mean I don't still believe it should be a thing if that's how productive you are when moving the truck.

I don't believe everyone should get $30/hr though. It should be based on individual productivity. Schneider already knows everyone's hourly average because that's how they paid vacation time. Lazy guys would average less than hustlers.

You don't wanna end up paying these slugs to intentionally dick off because they're paid more to not move the truck than move it.

15 to 20 dollars an hour for detention ? Holy crap.... Let's do a little math. Let's say it takes them 4 hours to load you and 3 hours to unload,I'm being very conservative there,reefer could add 2 hours to both of those. So 7 hours a day that you would sit. 7X15= 135$ 135$ for you to sit on your ass in the truck. You get paid for work,not to sit in the truck. 1650 a week for 48 weeks is 79,200 dollars... 79,200 to slam doors.... Walmart pays that high because they only higher good drivers with experience,not know it all's with 6 months experience. Detention should be more like 5 dollars an hour,as far as CPM I'd say around .60 is good for someone who is productive. Percentage can be better though,IF your company is honest. Tmc pays good and they use percent,no idea how "Honest" they are,but you also get some of their stock. I think people should be paid via productivity and safety,I have seen a few 1,000,000 mile swift guys that are slobs who drive dirty volvos,I don't think those guys should be making 65,000 a year just because they have "Experience" but I also don't think someone with 6 months experience should be making 70,000 a year,unless that person is very productive and safe. I apologise,I just realized how old this thread is....

I was gonna leave this post alone, but each time I read it I get a little more agitated.

It has been a minute since I have driven a company truck, but I was making in this range back then with no limit to the time.

Where to you value your time to think you are not worth this much and more for your time stuck at a dock or hooked to a tank waiting to unload?

And why do you seem to have an aversion to slamming doors? I slam doors and value my time very highly.

I apologize, but it seems you really know nothing about trucking.

I was gonna leave this post alone, but each time I read it I get a little more agitated.

It has been a minute since I have driven a company truck, but I was making in this range back then with no limit to the time.

Where to you value your time to think you are not worth this much and more for your time stuck at a dock or hooked to a tank waiting to unload?

And why do you seem to have an aversion to slamming doors? I slam doors and value my time very highly.

I slam doors and last year I almost pulled down six figures :whistling:

Maybe SD could avoid detention time and associated heartaches of the profession by hauling gas. Infrequently somebody will make a fill inaccessible; so occasionally SD can still feel that he is denied his true economic value. But to do so, SD will have to study for an X endorsement; that will obviate his calculating and reporting his true worth.

Sir,you and I have probably had very different experiences that's all. Just because we disagree I suddenly "No Nothing About Trucking" I said what I said because everyone I've met that made good money in trucking didn't run a dry van. So,instead of getting into a argument with you,I'm just going to forget this thread and post. I'll leave you with 2 things, 1. Just because others have different opinions doesn't mean they are wrong
2.**** OFF

Sir,you and I have probably had very different experiences that's all. Just because we disagree I suddenly "No Nothing About Trucking" I said what I said because everyone I've met that made good money in trucking didn't run a dry van. So,instead of getting into a argument with you,I'm just going to forget this thread and post. I'll leave you with 2 things, 1. Just because others have different opinions doesn't mean they are wrong
2.**** OFF
No offense, but until you’ve put your ass in a seat you really don’t know.

2.**** OFF

I'm not sure who this "Mike" guy is, but you really told him. Good for you, maybe he learns his lesson.

I'm not sure who this "Mike" guy is, but you really told him. Good for you, maybe he learns his lesson.
Some schmuck who thinks he runs the joint or something like that.

rumor has it he’s a two time loser who can’t back up a van and has tore off more doors than swift.

Last edited:
Im
This just goes to show those that sit behind a desk beit office or classroom really have no clue.
I'm homeschooled and I go out on the road on Friday and get back late Sunday. I'm not just sitting in a classroom. Again someone making assumptions. I don't have it in me to keep argue,I'm just gonna stop talking now,good bye.

Im
I'm homeschooled and I go out on the road on Friday and get back late Sunday. I'm not just sitting in a classroom. Again someone making assumptions. I don't have it in me to keep argue,I'm just gonna stop talking now,good bye.
When do you get time to go do stupid things and get in trouble with kids your own age?

There was this guy Jerry (my age) and his sister (1 year younger) right down the street from where I grew up who were home schooled, for our entire childhoods. I mean for like 18 years they lived one block down the street.

He would mysteriously show up ONLY if we were playing football or baseball in the empty lot at the end of the street. Any kind of "hey let's go do something stupid" and he'd have to leave. "My mom said to be home at (looks at his watch) right now".

I never even knew he had a sister until a few years ago when he found me on Facebook because she was never allowed out of the house.

Today he lives in Pennsylvania and collects Audi cars and real human skulls.

You can actually buy real human skulls on the internet. I never knew that.

I don't know what he does for a living but it wouldn't surprise me if he runs the Bates Motel. 😳

When do you get time to go do stupid things and get in trouble with kids your own age?

There was this guy Jerry (my age) and his sister (1 year younger) right down the street from where I grew up who were home schooled, for our entire childhoods. I mean for like 18 years they lived one block down the street.

He would mysteriously show up ONLY if we were playing football or baseball in the empty lot at the end of the street. Any kind of "hey let's go do something stupid" and he'd have to leave. "My mom said to be home at (looks at his watch) right now".

I never even knew he had a sister until a few years ago when he found me on Facebook because she was never allowed out of the house.

Today he lives in Pennsylvania and collects Audi cars and real human skulls.

You can actually buy real human skulls on the internet. I never knew that.

I don't know what he does for a living but it wouldn't surprise me if he runs the Bates Motel. 😳
Haha I hang out with a couple of my friends and I am going to a bible study Tuesday nights. I get "Socialization",I've never been one to do stupid shit though,I've always rathered working or doing something productive.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread