What does the ETHER switch do, also CAB CONTROL switch

smhoward27

I have just been put driving an old Peterbilt 1989 ten wheeler. I am wondering what the ETHER switch and CAB CONTROL switch are for.
I think the truck was converted from a tractor and it also originated in Canada.

Any help please

Just a guess here but a ETHER switch would probably be used to shoot ether into the engine before starting the engine when it is cold. Cab control switch might be just a switch like an auxiliary switch, not sure though..

The ether switch is for cold weather starting. An old Pete I used to drive had one. It would send a premeasured
shot of ether into the intake for starting in cold weather. Too much ether could damage the engine. The one I had
never worked right.

That's the transformer switch that makes it change.
laughlikehell.gif

Like some of the other folks said, the ether switch is for cold weather starting. The older mechanical injected trucks had these systems as an option. There was a bracket under the hood that you would install a bottle of pressurized ether into and then you just press the button once before cranking the engine to start it.

Sure beat having to open the hood, squirt some juice into the intake, then run around and jump in and crank it.

Cab switch could be a number of things but the first thing to come to mind is interior light.

Maybe.

Like the others said, switch it. If the truck blows up let us know where to send flowers.

Cab control might be to dump the airbags if it had air ride. The one I had, had a switch on the dash next to the diffrential lock but the label was wore off.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom