What do you look for in truck sales/service?

Hanover Fist

As a long time marketing and sales professional in a new industry for me (from the "other side"), what are some things you folks look for in a dealership and/or sales rep?
Trucks in general, even Peterbilts, have more or less become a commodity item...you can shop around but we're all going to give you close to the same price, with any differences easily negotiated out of the deal.
In that type of market, what can a business or individual do to build a meaningful and mutually beneficial relationship with the customer?
Any feedback welcome...thanks!

Return phone calls/emails

Nude/bikini full size calendars, not those small ones the size of a business card

Free swag, pens, shirts, coffee mugs hats etc

Taking out coffee and doughnuts to shops/farms for the guys who work there, not just management, it can be as simple as having your parts delivery guy do it once every couple months

As I told one guy, "I'm not buying the trailer. You're giving me the trailer to use. I'm paying for your service."

I've had one salesman understand that statement. I've now purchase eight brand new trailers from him.

I haven't bought a commerical truck but I have bought new cars. For me it's about the service because we all know stuff breaks, and I'm going for new because I don't want to fix it all myself this time around.

The best sales tactic is to shut up. If I'm there it's because I already did my research. I need to look, drive, listen, and feel. I walk away if you won't shut up. I'm the easiest sale ever because all you gotta do is hand me the keys. But it's not gonna happen if you try to push. I can and will form my own opinions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread