What do you guys look for in a company?

PhoenixLogistics

Hi Everyone! I hope this is allowed here - if it's not please feel free to direct me to the appropriate area. We are a small intermodal company in the NorthEast US that hires O/O. I am very new to the trucking world but nevertheless have been put in charge of finding new drivers. We have had a heck of a time holding onto them as of recently. We have a few drivers that have been with us for years but others come and go within a few months. So i'm asking you - what do you look for in a company? What keeps you around? What benefits do you look for and typically how much do you expect or like to make in a week? What avenues do you suggest in order to find new drivers? We are trying indeed and craigslist, but aren't getting much success in callbacks. Thank you very much for your help with this in advance :)

We try to match or beat what other companies are offering, but, like you, struggle to find new drivers. We have a couple repeats but most of our guys have been with us a long time.

Hi Everyone! I hope this is allowed here - if it's not please feel free to direct me to the appropriate area. We are a small intermodal company in the NorthEast US that hires O/O. I am very new to the trucking world but nevertheless have been put in charge of finding new drivers. We have had a heck of a time holding onto them as of recently. We have a few drivers that have been with us for years but others come and go within a few months. So i'm asking you - what do you look for in a company? What keeps you around? What benefits do you look for and typically how much do you expect or like to make in a week? What avenues do you suggest in order to find new drivers? We are trying indeed and craigslist, but aren't getting much success in callbacks. Thank you very much for your help with this in advance :)
Right here is perfect for this post as long as it is for discussion purposes only. You are welcome to create an additional advertising thread in our classifieds area as well.

- what do you look for in a company?
good, well maintained but not necessarily brand new equipment

What keeps you around?
a general friendly atmosphere over a pushy one.

What benefits do you look for and typically how much do you expect or like to make in a week?

benefits like medical, and good benefits, not one in which i pay large amounts of money into each week, and still have to pay high deductibles at the doctors office.

as far as pay, when i was younger, mileage pay that was very close to the going rates, now for the past 3 decades(?) i have worked dedicated accounts at various employers, and i get a salary, which is fine by me, i don't have to concern myself with hourly rates, how many hours i work, etc,etc...

i will not publish my current rate of pay, but to me, it's damned good!

What avenues do you suggest in order to find new drivers? We are trying indeed and craigslist, but aren't getting much success in callbacks.

i actually found my current job on Craig's List....but here is THE PROBLEM, every Tom, DIck and Harry trucking company out there, like ALL the mega carriers advertise on there as well, and as a result, i know i skip over those ads and since IT IS TIRING to do so, i really don;t check Craig's List anymore....

so you may be losing readers for the same reason as well.

try Indeed.com, Monster, and even some local newspapers that have websites with classifieds.

you could even try, your state and even nationally, the U.S. states job service (the unemployment offices) in each state. many, many job listings are posted in my state, that are from around the country..there, you can actually get to see a job seekers resume as well, and communicate with him/her thru thier account.

Thank you very much for your help with this in advance :)

you're welcomed.

Last edited:
In order of importance for me, and likely most other veteran drivers:

1) Versatility. I do not like doing the same thing all the time. I get bored easily. I want to feel challenged.

2) Lienancy: let us turn wrenches on the trucks and be flexible with what we want to equip the trucks with. That truck is our home.

3) Keep me busy. I dont want to babysit truckstops or stay at home all the time. A busy driver is a happy driver.

4) Equipment. Doesnt have to be brand new, but it does have to be kept up enough to at least pass a level 1.

5) Frequent home time, vacation and holiday pay.

6) Pay. Average gross of $1200 to $1500 a week for a veteran company driver is good.

Theres more, but these are the top 6 factors that keep me with a company.

Okay so it sounds troll-y but it really isn't. I'm a home daily local and have been my entire short career so far.

Some of these guys are driving the maximum allowed distance EVERY DAY before work and after a long shift, some of which can be a pretty grueling 14 hours. For the maxed out folks that's up to 16 hours. That only gives them 8 hours to get ready for work, wind down from work, sleep, eat, shower, etc.

I wasn't even a few blocks away from my first gig and I'm only 4.5 miles from my current one. That gives me maximum time to spool up and down and do home stuff. I need it.

Okay so it sounds troll-y but it really isn't. I'm a home daily local and have been my entire short career so far.

Some of these guys are driving the maximum allowed distance EVERY DAY before work and after a long shift, some of which can be a pretty grueling 14 hours. For the maxed out folks that's up to 16 hours. That only gives them 8 hours to get ready for work, wind down from work, sleep, eat, shower, etc.

I wasn't even a few blocks away from my first gig and I'm only 4.5 miles from my current one. That gives me maximum time to spool up and down and do home stuff. I need it.
this job i have is a 70 mile round trip, the longest drive i ever had, at any employer. and that's on a good day, and BEFORE the 6 AM morning rush hour.......

all other jobs were just under 10 miles, one way.

this job i have is a 70 mile round trip, the longest drive i ever had, at any employer. and that's on a good day, and BEFORE the 6 AM morning rush hour.......

all other jobs were just under 10 miles, one way.
That ain't bad for a round trip. Some of these guys are driving 60 miles each way, every day.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread