Trucking News: USPS trucking contractor Matheson files for bankruptcy

Mike

Company plans to reorganize, has 248 trucks, 383 drivers
Family-owned Matheson Postal Services Inc. of Sacramento, filed its petition in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of California on May 5. The company’s terminal handling services division, Matheson Flight Extenders, also filed for bankruptcy protection on the same day.

As of publication, Matheson’s attorney, Gregory Nuti, had not responded to FreightWaves’ request seeking comment.

The filing lists both its assets and liabilities as between $10 million and $50 million. The 60-year-old trucking and logistics company states that it has up to 5,000 creditors and maintains that funds will be available for distribution to unsecured creditors once it pays administrative fees.

The company was founded by Robert and Carole Matheson in 1962 and is a transportation and logistics provider for the Postal Service and other commercial carriers.

Wow! Hard to believe that a company that has been around for 60 years would just close like that. I wonder what changed that they could not keep up with their 5,000 creditors? (this is not a knock. Just wondering what changed).
I would think that a USPS contract/tender would be pretty profitable

Either way I hope all their drivers get paid out every cent owed to them.

Wow! Hard to believe that a company that has been around for 60 years would just close like that. I wonder what changed that they could not keep up with their 5,000 creditors? (this is not a knock. Just wondering what changed).

They're not closing...yet.

This is why it's a bitch to get semi truck financing when you're first starting out. Creditors don't want to be left holding the bag when you realize you have no idea what you're doing and got in over your head....which happens a lot.

Five Thousand "Creditors" ..

How is that even Possible

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread