Trucking: Taking the main highways vs. taking the scenic route

Canadian Eh

I drive to The Baja and back annually for many years now. Could cut many miles off the drive if I used major routes all the time, but love taking the secondary roads. Taken many different routes over the years, seen a lot of cool stuff.

Google says this is the quickest route, driven it once, but if memory serves me correctly I have driven round trip 14 times, and I think flown down 3 times.
I truly enjoy the drive, stop and see things, garage sale signs have me braking, little tiny restaurants in nothing towns, or maybe a donkey ride at the Grand Canyon, or renting a dune buggy to rip on the beaches in Oregon, even went to a stripper bar in Arizona for dinner and a couple dancers. That was my first time in a strip bar, good food, dancers were just okay.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210717-151747_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20210717-151747_Firefox.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 4
When there's not a lot going on, I try to take the scenic route as well. It's just nice to see something for a change.

I ran rt 11 from Virginia to PA and only hopped off for the Martinsburg WV train overpass a couple times at Schneider. It's like 13 feet.

When there's not a lot going on, I try to take the scenic route as well. It's just nice to see something for a change.

I ran rt 11 from Virginia to PA and only hopped off for the Martinsburg WV train overpass a couple times at Schneider. It's like 13 feet.
I've always said that myself..

Like if I got all weekend ain't gotta be there till Tuesday Morning why I be taking the 2 lanes often myself

I could drive to the place i go in Baja in 4 days, only once did it in 4 days lol.
5, 6, 7 days is my normal...last trip i spent 30 hours in vegas.

I’m getting a better feel for getting around this nation of ours.

the interstates are not always the quickest. Often times you can find routes that can save a day or more as well as 300-500 miles on some trips.

no, I won’t share the depths of some of those secrets.

I’m getting a better feel for getting around this nation of ours.

the interstates are not always the quickest. Often times you can find routes that can save a day or more as well as 300-500 miles on some trips.

no, I won’t share the depths of some of those secrets.
Unfortunately, those routes are slowly making their way into the "preferred routing" category.

212 is a prime example, before they redid the pass, it was extremely rare to see anything but O/O's on that road. Now, half the traffic is the white Volvo mafia and big fleets.

I-70 west of Denver, too. Never used to see the clueless California reefer crowd up there. It now sees as many stupid trucker trucks as I-80.

It was actually a relief find one of my favorite ways east from SW KS had so far not been discovered, when I was there a few weeks ago.

I-70 west of Denver, too. Never used to see the clueless California reefer crowd up there. It now sees as many stupid trucker trucks as I-80.

Years ago, I70 west of Denver was an awesome route. Lots of places to park near water, let the dog out to run and sleep with the windows open. Now it's like they have no intention of you really stopping anywhere til you get to Grand Junction.

Scares me to even think about it. I'm not really sure if my atlas even made it into this truck or not. It should be in here somewhere, but I can't remember the last time I seen it.

I travel often with my Tomtom gps, bought it in 2019, haven't updated the maps, even though it came with free lifetime updates, but probably should someday.

Lot of those US highways have been updated into actual interstate highways.

there’s stuff we ran in the 90’s that just don’t exist anymore.
US 322 between Harrisburg and I-99 is completely open. The only "old" remnant is a section through Happy Valley past the Harley dealer. It's just two lane there but no red lights or towns.

Everything else is basically an interstate without the name. It's actually a nice drive now and not the hell it used to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
I refuse to ever recognize the existence of any “Interstate 99”

“But why Bart?”

Simple. It’s between 79 and 81 where it dont belong :harumph:

“But why Bart?”

“But why Bart?”

Simple. It’s between 79 and 81 where it dont belong :harumph:

Simple. It’s between 79 and 81 where it dont belong.
US 322 between Harrisburg and I-99 is completely open. The only "old" remnant is a section through Happy Valley past the Harley dealer. It's just two lane there but no red lights or towns.

Everything else is basically an interstate without the name. It's actually a nice drive now and not the hell it used to be.
@Electric Chicken I have been seeing some xpo containers at Woodland. Have you brought any of them in?

Nope I haven't been up there (yet). Don't know if I ever will. Certainly ain't volunteering. 😃

Bet I'll see dispatches for it as soon as I get my truck back, now that I've said that. 🙄

Yeah, the old what was it US 15? There was a truck stop that had the most amazing pizza.Up near the NY/Pa border.
Then there was that section that was 40 MPH in some S-curve I think around Trout Run. That is still there
I haven't been there in a long time but the I 99 was kind of boring compared to the old US 15 up near NY.
I know the US 15 is still there in sections to the south.

I ran into a fellow company truck near the rest area at the NY/Pa line. Tioga I think it was. We were the only two trucks on the road at the time and he likes to drive slow, So I keyed up the mic and says, Hey, xyz company your are holding up traffic!
He keys up the mic and is like whaat? :dunno: :coocoo:
I flipped on the interior light and gave him the finger as I passed him.:thefinger: We had a good laugh at that one.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread