Trucker launches LNG station near I-95 in Connecticut

Mike

A new type of gas station is opening in Connecticut, selling liquefied natural gas to trucks to reduce polluting diesel fumes while potentially saving money.

Bill Malone, owner and operator of Enviro Express Inc., which transports waste to landfills and transfer stations, is opening the LNG station Friday at his company in Bridgeport near busy Interstate 95, a key East Coast highway that extends from Maine to Florida.

The Bridgeport station also will sell compressed natural gas that fuels cars. Malone and other promoters of LNG for vehicles say the fuel stations, established years ago in the West, are only now beginning to move east, starting with the Connecticut site.

The 53-year-old Malone, who said he has been in the trucking business since he was 18, was looking to cut pollution from his fleet of diesel-fuel trucks. He heard of Clean Energy Fuels Corp., which designs, builds and operates natural gas fueling stations. Malone said he met recently with T. Boone Pickens, a co-founder of the Seal Beach, Calif., company and Texas oil man, now a booster of alternative fuels.

“He convinced me that to be viable as a trucking firm, I need to go LNG,” Malone said.

Full Story

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread