Trucker killed by his trailer load.

Personally I don't think the load was even close to properly secured. If ALL the chains and binders broke as he panic stopped, there'd likely be some pieces of chain and binder laying around toward the front of the trailer, or even still hanging on the machine.

"There were chains on it..." tell us nothing.

Yup. I see them and I think you might just be right.

Often I see loads secured with a binder only, especially heavy equipment loads. In fact I'm partially guilty of that right now, except I've got plenty of other actual chains on also. I don't think I'd ever feel comfortable with just binders running from the track to the rail on the trailer...

Yup. I see them and I think you might just be right.

Often I see loads secured with a binder only, especially heavy equipment loads. In fact I'm partially guilty of that right now, except I've got plenty of other actual chains on also. I don't think I'd ever feel comfortable with just binders running from the track to the rail on the trailer...

I've hauled small track dozers and only used binders from the track to the trailer but only if the binder would hook into the trailers chain notches.

I dunno...

I use a lot of 3/8-1/2 binders because full 1/2 inch or even 5/8 binders are too freakin hard to work with. Problem is I think the 3/8-1/2" once aren't the same WLL as the bigger ones (sorry been drinking and I ain't typing all them damn fractions again)...

So if you're just using binders, you might just be under-securing the load.

I don't know, obviously it happened, but holy ****, to get the ass end of that loader to jump up the neck of the trailer, and balance itself on the neck and hit the truck.. wow. It was his time to go I guess? Its just a lot of things added together that make it sound impossible, but it happened.

So if you're just using binders, you might just be under-securing the load.

So are you saying that the WLL of a binder used by itself is less than the WLL of the same binder when used with a chain?

Because, honestly....That makes no sense.

I have used binders without chains many times to secure equipment and have never experienced any issues.

The WLL of a 3/8 binder is 9600, while the same binder used with a half inch chain is 11,300.

I could be wrong, but a full 1/2 inch binder probably has the same WLL.

If you're using 3/8 binders when theres supposed to be 1/2 inch chain involved...

I mean if the DOT wanted to get really nasty and actually count stuff...

What a tragic thing to happen just helping out a friend. I took a course a few years back that dealt with the WLL of different binders as well as chains and hooking points. The picture below shows how a ratchet binder has a higher WWL then a lever binder of the same size.
I have also uploaded a pdf file that shows how much WLL % you can lose by improperly using a grab hook or any hook for that matter. Well I take that back, the file exceeds the limit so here is the page link on the www. It has some very relevant information in it.

Center Loading-100% of WLL
¼” off center-88% of WLL
½” off center-79% of WLL
¾” off center-71% of WLL
Tip Loading-41% of WLL

Like most have already said, something must have been set up improper for this to have happened. We truly have a very unforgiving profession when it comes to loads shifting when standards have not been met. Be Safe!

The WLL of a 3/8 binder is 9600, while the same binder used with a half inch chain is 11,300.

I could be wrong, but a full 1/2 inch binder probably has the same WLL.

If you're using 3/8 binders when theres supposed to be 1/2 inch chain involved...

I mean if the DOT wanted to get really nasty and actually count stuff...

How does the use of a chain make a binder stronger?

The binder might be the weak link if it's used with a chain with a higher WLL but using it with that higher WLL chain will not raise the WLL of the binder, it will however, effectivly reduce the WLL of the chain to which it is attached.

Just like the guys that use 1/2" chain on a flatbed tie down point that's only rated for 5,500 or 6,000 pounds....The tie down point is the "weak link" and therefore no matter how high the WLL of the chain that's attached to it the entire system is reduced to the WLL of the tie down point.

That's exactly what I was trying to say (last night...in a haze).

If you're only using binders rated for less then what the load is, or using binders with a lesser WLL than your chain, you might be undersecuring stuff.

I think we were trying to agree...I think...

What a tragic thing to happen just helping out a friend. I took a course a few years back that dealt with the WLL of different binders as well as chains and hooking points. The picture below shows how a ratchet binder has a higher WWL then a lever binder of the same size.
I have also uploaded a pdf file that shows how much WLL % you can lose by improperly using a grab hook or any hook for that matter. Well I take that back, the file exceeds the limit so here is the page link on the www. It has some very relevant information in it.

Center Loading-100% of WLL
¼” off center-88% of WLL
½” off center-79% of WLL
¾” off center-71% of WLL
Tip Loading-41% of WLL

Like most have already said, something must have been set up improper for this to have happened. We truly have a very unforgiving profession when it comes to loads shifting when standards have not been met. Be Safe!

Thank you Picnic. Clear, informative, and to the point.

I have always found it odd how there seems to be so much disagreement in the methods and techniques of load securement and rigging. It is really very clear and straightforward. And so many people fail to realize the reduction of the WLL of securement gear when used in anything other than a straight pull, or with the hooks and clevis' set up incorrectly.

Thank you Picnic. Clear, informative, and to the point.

I have always found it odd how there seems to be so much disagreement in the methods and techniques of load securement and rigging. It is really very clear and straightforward. And so many people fail to realize the reduction of the WLL of securement gear when used in anything other than a straight pull, or with the hooks and clevis' set up incorrectly.

I find it odd as well. I have always tried to follow the proper procedure whenever I could and when I ran into something new, I had a backup for the backup. When it comes to rigging and securing loads, smarter minds then mine have already done the math. In this day and time, it takes less the 60 seconds to Google information on anything, that will take you a week to read. I have always tried to follow the manufactures recommendations as well, but truth be told, I am sure that I have taken some shortcuts when the "ego" raised its ugly head.

10 years ago a friend was a mechanic at a trash company. One of his co-workers jumped under a front loader to look at a king pin problem. The tire blew and crushed the man. It only took a second. Sometimes I find myself as well, becoming much to complacent.

whenever I secure a load my train of thought is I want to know that if I turned the trailer upside down that the load is not going to move. I know I always "over secure" my loads and often get looks from other drivers, but I want to get home to my family after every trip and I want to do my part in ensuring everybody on the road around me will do the same. I actually broke my finger this week while securing a load. While trying to get one last click on a winch the bar sliped and and I fell forward with the bar in my hand and smashed my hand against to ground.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread