Truck in my lane! Full brake application.

I was descending American Mountain, travelling East on Highway 1 near Hope, B.C., when I came around a corner and another semi-truck was climbing the hill in my lane. A massive rock slide was blocking both westbound lanes, and a highway maintenance crew member was directing traffic. Both the other truck and the maintenance worker failed to alert me on their radios, so I had to apply a full break application to be able to stop in time and avoid a collision. I don't hold the other truck at fault, because he was waved through, but in my opinion, the highway worker needed to close the highway or radio oncoming traffic, as this occurred in a blind corner and on a hill.

To me it looks like the rock slide had happened recently. How in the hell the road crew supposed to alert drivers with all the jibber jabber going on, on the radio? When has a road crew ever alerted drivers via radio?
I am not sure what you were hauling but, Buddy had what looked like a 5 axle B-train and probably loaded to the tits.

I am going to assume this was on the Trans-Canada. Nothing should be surprising on the Trans-Canada.

To me it looks like the rock slide had happened recently. How in the hell the road crew supposed to alert drivers with all the jibber jabber going on, on the radio? When has a road crew ever alerted drivers via radio?
I am not sure what you were hauling but, Buddy had what looked like a 5 axle B-train and probably loaded to the tits.

I am going to assume this was on the Trans-Canada. Nothing should be surprising on the Trans-Canada.
True. The radio is very annoying and I turn it off some times because of that. I feel that maybe he should not have let any traffic thru until he had a road crew member on the other side. As far as weight, I was fully loaded with a tri axle 53' liquid load.

Hey isn't that the highway to hell up there by the (atrocious spelling. Sound it out) coke-a-hall-ah (don't ask me how it's spelled. I am a truck driver after all). From that TV show about them towing guys? Jamie Davis I believe is his name.

It's in that neighborhood.

If you ever run across a trucker that is driving I90/I70 etc or any of the "big hills" in the US and seems to be really MELLOW about them. Chances are really good they've spent some time in British Columbia.

What we post all our roads for, BC won't even start because they would be doing EVERY hill you see.

Hey isn't that the highway to hell up there by the (atrocious spelling. Sound it out) coke-a-hall-ah (don't ask me how it's spelled. I am a truck driver after all). From that TV show about them towing guys? Jamie Davis I believe is his name.
Very Close. Just outside of Hope, BC, this Video is on highway 1 heading east. The Coquihalla Is very close to where i was. Pretty much on the other side of the mountains you can see in the back ground. I have a video from the "Smasher" check it here.....

It's in that neighborhood.

If you ever run across a trucker that is driving I90/I70 etc or any of the "big hills" in the US and seems to be really MELLOW about them. Chances are really good they've spent some time in British Columbia..
Or they descended Loveland Pass (hazmat detour around Eisenhower Tunnel in Colorado) with wiggle wagons and no jake brake.

Here on the south side of the border, the highway department would put up cones and make it a one-lane road with flaggers on each end.

For three years.

Yeah but this is Canada.

Probably couldn't find a moose or a beaver to stand guard for thee.......:D

I was descending American Mountain, travelling East on Highway 1 near Hope, B.C., when I came around a corner and another semi-truck was climbing the hill in my lane. A massive rock slide was blocking both westbound lanes, and a highway maintenance crew member was directing traffic. Both the other truck and the maintenance worker failed to alert me on their radios, so I had to apply a full break application to be able to stop in time and avoid a collision. I don't hold the other truck at fault, because he was waved through, but in my opinion, the highway worker needed to close the highway or radio oncoming traffic, as this occurred in a blind corner and on a hill.

You are at good Speed. I would have told em a Story

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread