Truck idle temperature high

SER

Hello drivers!
Need your advice. My coolant temperature slowly rises when idling. Sometimes even gets to 215 and fan kicks on. But usually holds 190-200 degrees. Also noticed temperature to go up when in traffic. As soon as I get cruising speed it gets to normal.
2009 Volvo with D13 manual 13sp
Did replace thermostat, did flush the system and filled it with fresh coolant. Pressure washed radiator, intercooler is 2 months old. Still does same thing.
Also noticed my APU started shutting down due to overheating. It's connected to trucks coolant system. When I start the truck and run APU at the same time APU keeps running with no problem.
Any ideas?
Promise to report what the problem was when solved)))

could be the radiator needs cleaned, probably goint to have to take the CAC and condenser coils of to properly clean it

Reactions: SER
could be the radiator needs cleaned, probably goint to have to take the CAC and condenser coils of to properly clean it
Thanks for reply. How do you think if there is air compressor or head gasket leak and pushing air/gases into the system. Would it cause to overheat when idling only or it would overheat all the time even when cruising?

I suggested the radiator because that is something a lot of people neglect.
I understand) I don't know yet. I don't loose any coolant though. The mechanics telling let's try compressor first. Looks like a part changer. I'll get that oil sample test and coolant test kit when I get back from my trip. Just thought I could figure something out while on the road.
Don't really feel good when truck idles at higher temps. Don't know if 195F is bad for engine sitting like that overnight...

One thing I noticed too that when temp is higher my air blows warm/hot even if set on cold all the way. Which makes me think there is some extra pressure in the system...

I am having the same isssue 2014 volvo D13 when in stop and go traffic or idling truck gets hot and builds up pressure in cooling system and leaks coolant. When driving down the road normal no issues at all.

I am having the same isssue 2014 volvo D13 when in stop and go traffic or idling truck gets hot and builds up pressure in cooling system and leaks coolant. When driving down the road normal no issues at all.
Check for combustion gases in coolant first. My problem was EGR cooler leaking which clogged my radiator. Replaced both the problem is gone. Don't wait for a long time cause you can bust your head or head gasket if you let it overheat

Check for combustion gases in coolant first. My problem was EGR cooler leaking which clogged my radiator. Replaced both the problem is gone. Don't wait for a long time cause you can bust your head or head gasket if you let it overheat

Thanks for posting the update, might help the other driver.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread