Truck Repair Owner Operator Tripac Evolution troubleshooting…

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Last month I left out and my APU was working to begin with, but at the end of 7 days, (I was out for 10), I started getting an “alt” fault on my HMI.

What sucks is, I had just had a mechanic install four brand new Group 31 hybrid batteries just prior to leaving out when the repaired my clutch actuator.

Well shit…

Grabbed the computer and plugged it into the APU.

Ran the alternator service test and had no charging.

When I got home, I ordered an alternator from Thermo-byproducts and had them send me the alternator. It was $200 from them and I’ve had good luck with them on my legacy unit from my old truck.

Thermo-king OEM are over $425.

I have 6500 hours on my unit and it was installed in 2017. So about 5 years old.

Well into the alternator service life.

Today I finally took the time and got parked early enough to actually install the alternator.

Took about and hour and hooked up the software again to run the alternator service test.

Putting out 14.6 volts and I saw 86 amps charging.

The new evolution software has multiple service tests you can run and also has other parameters you can set like voltage thresholds and run times for charging etc.

Lot of stuff dealers and mechanics don’t/won’t tell an O/O.

Thermo-king OEM are over $425.

Just curious, is that a recent price? My last alternator through Thermo King was far cheaper, and total labor including diag was only 1 hour.

I know for a while they had 3 different tiers of alternators you could buy, and they finally narrowed that down since it seemed very much like a ripoff to me.

Tripac alternators annoy me. They seemed to last me just over one year, long enough to escape the warranty when I had the Kenworth. Haven't had to replace the one on the Tripac that is on the Freightliner yet, but as I watch the voltage under loads, I do think it is already beginning to lose performance.

Yea, that was current pricing. I called my local dealer prior to ordering.

They keep 12 on-hand, reorder at 9.

Should tell you something about their reliability.

I’ll take the old alternator in now and have my local parts guy find me the original Bosch alternator that will put live the OEM tripac.

These thing live in the worst work environment you could ask for sitting in front of drive tires where the road mist year round infiltrates the case.

I’m surprised mine lasted 5 years.

These thing live in the worst work environment you could ask for sitting in front of drive tires where the road mist year round infiltrates the case.

I’m surprised mine lasted 5 years

Very surprising for me. They do go through hell, and I've yet to have good luck with the alternator. Luckily, it is easy to replace.

I haven’t installed one since 2016. So it was a bit of a relearn tonight learning what wrenches/sockets were needed.

I’ll have to take it apart again in the future to clean up the positive cable end. It was kind of fuzzy tonight. But I didn’t feel like disconnecting all of the batteries to let me go in and wire brush it clean.

I haven’t installed one since 2016. So it was a bit of a relearn tonight learning what wrenches/sockets were needed.

I’ll have to take it apart again in the future to clean up the positive cable end. It was kind of fuzzy tonight. But I didn’t feel like disconnecting all of the batteries to let me go in and wire brush it clean.
I suck at looking at a fastener and immediately recognizing the size. My dad can go fetch the correct wrench damn near every time.

I'll spread all my wrenches out next to me because it usually takes me 3 or 4 tries to get the right one. Lol.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread