Transferring Your Cdl To Another State

Road Dust

Takes a little sunshine
After recently moving from Missouri to Tennessee, I will have to get my license transferred. This is the first time I have moved since having a cdl, so I was unsure of what I would need to do. I just thought I would share what I have learned in case someone else might be thinking about moving to TN. I imagine not all states have the same requirements, but this is what you need for TN.

Birth certificate
Two documents that will establish residency (they will give you a list of what they will, and will not, accept.
An up to date medical card.

I was also told that unless I could show I had taken the hazmat test within the past 6 months, I would have to re-take that test to keep my hazmat endorsement. I thought that was odd, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do, LOL.

I had an arguement with Glenn about CDL transfers as he told me the state I held my CDL with was de-certified and I'd not be able to transfer the license. It is certain schools and testing centers that are de-certified. No matter anyway, because I tested in Indiana for my CDL-A, and so I did not even get my CDL in my home state. The end resut was I transfered with no problems. All I needed was my medical and mail in my name going to the address I was claiming. I have known HazMat to NOT transfer from any state to any state. I have understood each state requiring re-testing and that they redo background checks for HazMat. Maybe it is different than 2 years ago, but I don't think so as I was asked about HazMat when I asked about CDL transfers at my license branch before I did the transfer, and I was told about re-testing for that then (just a few months ago). Did not matter since I do not have the HazMat anyway.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread