Trucking Regulations: Transferring CDL license to another state

I live in Maryland. Will be moving to North Carolina in a couple months. I’ve tried calling DMV but it’s hard to get an actual person on the phone. Has anyone here moved to a different state? Is it a difficult process? Anyone know any websites or anything with specific requirements?

I live in Maryland. Will be moving to North Carolina in a couple months. I’ve tried calling DMV but it’s hard to get an actual person on the phone. Has anyone here moved to a different state? Is it a difficult process? Anyone know any websites or anything with specific requirements?
sorry, i did a quick search of the FAQ's, and found nothing

update, i found this.??

Moving to N.C.

Within 60 days of establishing a permanent residence in North Carolina, new residents who plan to operate a motor vehicle must get a North Carolina driver license and title and register their vehicles with the N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles.

Because each state is different, new residents should also familiarize themselves with theNorth Carolina Driver's Handbook, which outlines North Carolina's laws and regulations regarding roadway safety.
Getting a License

New residents must visit an NCDMV driver license office to apply for a North Carolina driver license and take any required tests. Written and road tests may be waived for individuals with a valid license from another state.

Once North Carolina issues a driver license, out-of-state licenses are no longer valid and should be properly discarded or surrendered to:

N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles
Driver License Section
3120 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27697-3120
NOTE: A valid license issued by a government agency from a U.S. state or another country is required to drive legally in North Carolina. North Carolina law enforcement authorities do not recognize international driver licenses.

And don't forget to bring two forms of photo ID, birth certificate, non-laminated SSN card, a blood sample, notarized letter of personal character, used bubble gum, three pair of dirty socks and a pair of underwear with skidmarks and morning dew for the REAL ID part.

You figure out the part that's not real.

And don't forget to bring two forms of photo ID, birth certificate, non-laminated SSN card, a blood sample, notarized letter of personal character, used bubble gum, three pair of dirty socks and a pair of underwear with skidmarks and morning dew for the REAL ID part.

might possibly even need his DOT form as well, to be entered into the NC system?

Pretty sure that's all real.

Good info, hopefully they don’t make me take test again.
Not sure about NC, but check with a DMV office to be sure.

Colorado requires a bill, bank statement or something like that addressed to your new residence to verify your address. I'm sure NC will have a similar requirement. You'll need your CDL and medical card, of course.

I cannot be totally sure of this, but I believe as part of the federal Real ID law, we're all going to be required to produce a birth certificate the next time we transfer or renew a CDL starting in 2019. I was told this a couple of years ago by DMV when I last renewed my CDL. You should probably make sure you have access to yours before to do this

Most states do not require that you take a CDL road test. As stated by others, MA and IL are exceptions. If you have a hazmat endorsement, you will need to take the written test in NC to transfer that... a requirement whenever you transfer or renew a CDL, in any state.

Last edited:
Check with the laws of the state in which you are moving. They all vary.

Your problem is going from a state governed by Kim Jon Un to one that is governed by Vladimir Putin.

Follow the requirements of what is stated in "Commercial Driver's License's".

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread