The Fuel Stop Like a Pro & With Pride

Exactly this. They don't pay the driver for fueling. most times you are 15-30 mins waiting or getting fuel, sure there are exceptions.
How cheap is a company that won't want to add the extra weight of fuel that weighs like 8 LBS per gallon? I wouldn't work for a place like that.

In my personal life I go to the gas station and fill it up because I don't want to be fueling every other day to save pennies. I fill it up, so I have less water in the tank due to condensation during temp fluctuations and to save time.
I think it's about a computer program buying just enough here and just enough later to maximize whatever discount and probably for IFTA Taxes as well..

Millis did that crap but ya went thru a terminal often enough and ya could always top off at a terminal infact ya were "encouraged" get most of your fuel from a terminal..

Now if I didn't like their computer generated fuel stop or the timing didn't work out I could usually call dispatch and get them to change it for someplace else

We had terminal fuel at USX but were discouraged from using it and eventually cut off from it. Something about how it was more expensive than the truck stops because of having to pay to have it delivered.

I said why the **** do you even have it then. Crickets.

The pumps themselves were a holdover from when it was Cressler Trucking and my dad worked there. But that doesn't mean USX had to fill the tanks and keep them operational just because they were there.

There was one guy that owned a private Cessna and was also a pilot but not good enough of a pilot so he had to hire a pilot to Co-pilot with him to fly Toronto to Muskoka. He always requested to have fuel in the wings only no fuel in the tip tanks. I knew that but the board said full fuel so, I put full fuel in the wings and tip tanks. He was pissed because of the time it took to drain the tip tanks.
Wingtip tanks make a plane handle like a jumbo jet because of the weight so far out.

The roll rate (banking) will be sluggish.
It'll be harder to fly.
They're typically used on long flights, and they burn that fuel off first.

At least that's how it was explained to me by a pilot once.

What really cost him was the defuel. That has to go into a slop tank. It can't go back into the in-service tank. Especially of it was 100LL. They returned him half the cost of the initial fuel. The risk of contamination is way too great.
100% true!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread