Trucking News: Tennessee law now in effect expands ‘slowpoke’ rule

Mike

Concern about lane use in Tennessee spurred the state legislature this year to take action on the issue. As a result, effective July 1 is a revision to the state’s left lane law.

The Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association and the National Motorists Association say that blocking the left lane, whether intentional or not, results in reduced road safety and efficiency.

Tennessee law has prohibited drivers from hanging out in the far left lane on interstates and highways with three or more lanes in each direction. Violators face $50 fines.

The revision now in effect expands the left lane rule to apply on roads with two or more lanes.

Hopefully this’ll come with some kinda way to hold assholes who step on it when yer next to em accountable for that ignorant shit

Seems to me all it’s doing is legalizing speeding and taking enforcement away from other unsafe acts effectively making them “more legal”

“ my right to speed is more important than your right to pass.”

I don't have a problem with this law, and hope they will enforce it on any vehicle that gets out in the left lane and either can't or won't accelerate and make a pass.

What aggravates me is that states don't step up and enforce laws that would take the truly dangerous drivers off the road, those being the ones that have the need to tailgate because the vehicle in front of them isn't going fast enough to suit them.

So, ticket the guy who is impeding the left lane, but also ticket the guy who is tailgating the one who is impeding. Get them both off the highways.

Aside from annoying the driver of the following vehicle, and in their annoyance, blinded by their rage, turn to making unsafe driving decisions....

How exactly does blocking the left lane reduce safety?

Efficiency I get. Respect I get. Safety, not so much...

Safety, not so much...

Safety because the impatience of others (tailgating, dangerous passing on the right, passing on the shoulder) results in some of the nastiest wrecks we see on the interstate.

In other words, one bad decision results in the bad decisions of multiple others all at the same time.

This is why I got back to my statement of enforcing the laws already written that can take the other dangerous folks off the road in a rather quick fashion.

Aside from annoying the driver of the following vehicle, and in their annoyance, blinded by their rage, turn to making unsafe driving decisions....

How exactly does blocking the left lane reduce safety?

Efficiency I get. Respect I get. Safety, not so much...
It bunches up traffic and people begin passing on the right.

Concern about lane use in Tennessee spurred the state legislature this year to take action on the issue. As a result, effective July 1 is a revision to the state’s left lane law.

The Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association and the National Motorists Association say that blocking the left lane, whether intentional or not, results in reduced road safety and efficiency.

Tennessee law has prohibited drivers from hanging out in the far left lane on interstates and highways with three or more lanes in each direction. Violators face $50 fines.

The revision now in effect expands the left lane rule to apply on roads with two or more lanes.

The "Real" Solution would be a Federal Mandate "Banning" Governered Trucks..

Why Federal because Washington can use "Commerce Clause" to Supercede States Rights that's why..

Especially in Trucking we don't need 50 States and 50 different sets of Rules..

1 Federal Law that all must Abide..

Same for Insurance Companies giving Discounts

Why Federal because Washington can use "Commerce Clause" to Supercede States Rights that's why..

On 2nd thought I take that back....

Probably be a Federal Mandate setting every rig at 65 Mph....

That would mean Convoys of Goody 2 Shoes and Angrier more reckless 4wheelers trying to cut around

similar to current Split Speed States..

On 2nd thought I take that back....

Probably be a Federal Mandate setting every rig at 65 Mph....

That would mean Convoys of Goody 2 Shoes and Angrier more reckless 4wheelers trying to cut around

similar to current Split Speed States..
Give ya an "Example"...

I-94 across Michigan...

Mostly 4-Lanes but Michigan sets 60 Truck / 70 Car...

94 between Chicago and Detroit plus Ontario is a busy FREIGHT CORRIDOR ...

You get nothing but STACKS of Trucks n miles long Convoys because HALF of drivers go Exactly the Speed Limit....

Other Half of Trucks will push 65/70 plus..

Then Mix-In the 4-wheelers on a strecth of Interstate still much in it's "Original" design but handles probably 5/10 times as much traffic as it did half a century ago

Oh HELL no... truckers able to run with traffic again?

We cant have THAT shit :rolleyes-80:

Oh HELL no... truckers able to run with traffic again?

We cant have THAT shit :rolleyes-80:
Yesterday on I-57 a white Volvo with mailbox letters on the door passed me like I was standing still. I was on a motorcycle going 75 mph. After he got back over, I sped up and matched his speed and it was 84 mph.

This wasn't the middle of Wyoming or anything. This was I-57 through Kankakee, IL.

I don't support mandating speed limiters but I also don't want to see every 3 week wonder in an automatic trans megafleet rookie-mobile running around with the hammer down like he's in a car.

I dunno... Maybe with all the electronic leashes that rat you out to your company safety trolls they can let experienced hands run without a governor.

Yesterday on I-57 a white Volvo with mailbox letters on the door passed me like I was standing still. I was on a motorcycle going 75 mph. After he got back over, I sped up and matched his speed and it was 84 mph.

This wasn't the middle of Wyoming or anything. This was I-57 through Kankakee, IL.

I don't support mandating speed limiters but I also don't want to see every 3 week wonder in an automatic trans megafleet rookie-mobile running around with the hammer down like he's in a car.

I dunno... Maybe with all the electronic leashes that rat you out to your company safety trolls they can let experienced hands run without a governor.
84 mph would git somebody a reckless drivin charge in VA. They kinda frown on that

They can make it illegal to go slower than the flow in the left lane (it actually already is), but it isn't worth the ink (digital or otherwise) if they don't actually enforce it. 20+ years of driving, and I've never personally seen a car or truck get pulled over for going to slow.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread