super singles thoughts and input

texan168

i've allways liked them on the trailers seem to track better and smoother. I have never had them on the tractor till now. It may be all in my head but they seem to have a lot less traction than duals. Slip and slide a lot it doesn't seem to take much to get wheel spin with them I don't generally carry much weight and there have been numerous times that i'm spinning upon take off rather than grip and go. not sure if i'm making a lot of sense. but your input please?

I had super singles spin once at 60 mph climbing a mild hill with 32k on them. Wet pavement, middle of summer.

They're junk.

that is not what i wanted to hear. its gonna be a long winter.
Don't get depressed by one opinion, lol.

No personal experience with them, but many say they do fine in the winter. Much of it may have to do with the tire itself. I have had junk duals that had absolutely horrible traction.

Well mike can't argue with that.
If I were to have gotten a new truck from an actual dealer, I fully intended on having the singles instead of the duals. At some point, I hope to come across a good deal where I can swap what I have out, but not worth it unless I can get a really good deal.

One of our owner just swapped his duals for a set of singles that were taken off a Central truck. Apparently, Swift is doing away with singles across the board. I don't know why, but I think it has to do with inventory. They don't want to stock a gazillion different types of tires.

I'm waiting to make my decision until I find out how much he was charged and whether there's a difference in performance.

I've heard there are chains that fit them but never seen them used. I expect any minute now a person who is an expert in everything will give us the 411 on all aspects of super singles. My company uses a lot of them on trailers but provide no way to use a drag chain.

I will put it right on Front street, I have never driven a truck with super single. However it would stand to reason that a fat tire would ride on top of snow or deep water. Hydroplaning. That is why they use big fat tires on farm equipment to keep them from sinking into the mud. That is the exact opposite of what I want out of a tire when driving in snow.
I want the tire(s) to cut right through the snow and get down to the road beneath the snow.

I will put it right on Front street, I have never driven a truck with super single. However it would stand to reason that a fat tire would ride on top of snow or deep water. Hydroplaning. That is why they use big fat tires on farm equipment to keep them from sinking into the mud. That is the exact opposite of what I want out of a tire when driving in snow.
I want the tire(s) to cut right through the snow and get down to the road beneath the snow.
Remember aqua-tread car tires? Not sure if they still make them but they had a center water channel much like the gap between duals. And supposedly they wouldn't hydroplane.

Remember aqua-tread car tires? Not sure if they still make them but they had a center water channel much like the gap between duals. And supposedly they wouldn't hydroplane.
That would have to be one deep channel even for water. Snow unlike water does not necessarily gravitate toward the path of least resistance.

That would have to be one deep channel even for water. Snow unlike water does not necessarily gravitate toward the path of least resistance.
Well how deep is the "channel" between duals? ;)

That's why super singles suck.

In the snow, I'd rather be empty with good conventional duals than fully loaded with super singles. I ain't exaggerating either. I ran a truck with singles for a whole winter & part of the next. Then they gave me a truck with new duals on it & it was WAY better.

Well how deep is the "channel" between duals? ;)

That's why super singles suck.

In the snow, I'd rather be empty with good conventional duals than fully loaded with super singles. I ain't exaggerating either. I ran a truck with singles for a whole winter & part of the next. Then they gave me a truck with new duals on it & it was WAY better.
So we are arguing the same point? I hate when that happens because, I have no retort!:):thumbsup:

. You are mistaking the fact that water seeks its on level and electricity that seeks the path of least resistance.hydraulics and water is a completely different component of physics.

. You are mistaking the fact that water seeks its on level and electricity that seeks the path of least resistance.
I do believe that water travels the path of least resistance, To a point. If you are talking major floods then water will take out what ever it can to carry on its way.
But, We are only talking puddles here and more to the point we are talking traction in snow.

no sir water seeks its own level regardless of resistance and you are correct we are only talking puddles and snow,. grooves in tire,s and the physics of hydraulics behind it.Being from Canada I aquiouse to your knowlege of driveing on snow. But regardless of the width of the tire you will never cut down to the pavement. With that in mind wouldnt a larger footprint give you better traction? not talking ice only snow.

no sir water seeks its own level regardless of resistance and you are correct we are only talking puddles and snow,. grooves in tire,s and the physics of hydraulics behind it.Being from Canada I aquiouse to your knowlege of driveing on snow. But regardless of the width of the tire you will never cut down to the pavement. With that in mind wouldnt a larger footprint give you better traction? not talking ice only snow.
I concede on the water thing. I agree the tire may never cut down to the pavement in deep snow. A larger tire may benefit on ice, I will agree. In snow you want cut through it. Not mud bog on top of it. That is the best example i can come up with right now.
In the snow one is not trying to snow shoe on top of it. Example a snow shoe is made very wide to stay above the snow, Without sinking into the snow.

You should want to sink into the snow for traction an example would be Ice skating on a pond covered in snow. You want to cut through the snow and get down to the ice where your ice hockey skates can make contact and gain traction with the grooves that are very fine in a well sharpened skate.

Rigjocky im truly not trying to argue with you only trying to get information and playing devils advocate seems to work sometimes. Im not sure of your skate analogy but lets talk snow shoes. wouldn't the snow in and of itself provide more traction if you stay on top?

.. not sure of your skate analogy but lets talk snow shoes. wouldn't the snow in and of itself provide more traction if you stay on top?
Nope. Really skinny tires to cut through the crap.

Big fat ones just try to plow it forward.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread