stop-start technology

GAnthony

Go away
Premium
many new cars, SUVs have this stop-start tech BS....for saving gas...BS.

you come to a red light, stop sign, have your foot on the brakes and BAM, your engine shuts off....so you don't idle and save gas

then the light turns green, or you get to pull away from the stop sign, release the brake and step on the gas, and BAM, your car re-starts and off you go....

i was going to my doctors office the other day. nice spring day, warm temps, i had the windows open.

car next to me, some GM product....the light was long, then maybe about 4 cars could make it...

that stupid GM...stop-start-stop-start-stop-start......drove ME nuts just listening to all that BS

all to save a little bit of gas, in a car that gets what 12 miles to the gallon anyways..?????

you buy a BIG EXPENSIVE SUV, that gets lousey mileage and put up with that crap to save a tiny bit o'gas..?????

then you hit the gas to do 85 on the highway..????

let's hope the big rigs don't get nto THAT technology

My pickup has this. Button on the dash to disable it, and I always disable it.

My pickup has this. Button on the dash to disable it, and I always disable it.
i wondered about that.

if one had to have the shop disable it, and they should cuz it's NOT a safety item.

BUT, do you have to always disable it every time you get into the truck, or does it stay disabled forever.??

Hard on the starter too. So you save a little gas but you gotta buy a $500 starter sooner.

Most cars you gotta disable it every time you start the vehicle. But there are also aftermarket programmers out now to kill it permanently on some of the more popular vehicles.

i drove a new malibu a few months ago I didn't mind it didn't notice it. car had 4 miles on it and was getting almost 40 mpg. If I didn't have another kid on the way id buy one

Hard on the starter too. So you save a little gas but you gotta buy a $500 starter sooner.

Most cars you gotta disable it every time you start the vehicle. But there are also aftermarket programmers out now to kill it permanently on some of the more popular vehicles.
i'd imagine a battery as well, in shorter time

but i also wonder about, hot, muggy days, stopped in traffic, engine shuts off, so does the a/c.......

Headlines will read:

Last edited:
many new cars, SUVs have this stop-start tech BS....for saving gas...BS.

you come to a red light, stop sign, have your foot on the brakes and BAM, your engine shuts off....so you don't idle and save gas

then the light turns green, or you get to pull away from the stop sign, release the brake and step on the gas, and BAM, your car re-starts and off you go....

i was going to my doctors office the other day. nice spring day, warm temps, i had the windows open.

car next to me, some GM product....the light was long, then maybe about 4 cars could make it...

that stupid GM...stop-start-stop-start-stop-start......drove ME nuts just listening to all that BS

all to save a little bit of gas, in a car that gets what 12 miles to the gallon anyways..?????

you buy a BIG EXPENSIVE SUV, that gets lousey mileage and put up with that crap to save a tiny bit o'gas..?????

then you hit the gas to do 85 on the highway..????

let's hope the big rigs don't get nto THAT technology
Hadda recall notice on the jeep awhile back n while they were fixing it I thought id look around for the heck of it to kill some time

Almost everything 17 or newer has that equipted with start stop fuel saving technology

Not my first thought was just another high tech gizmo to malfunction

Secondly I wondered if that also included a heavy duty starter motor cause thats gonna take a real beating

Thirdly probably another grand mark up padded in as a factory equipt option

Last but not least @GAnthony pretty soon we aint gonna have no choice because now they putting this stuff on everything whether ya want it or not

That said Im keeping the Jeep and my old pickup until they are literally flying apart

Plus they both "paid" off now

Fortunately mine is a '16 so it doesn't have it. *whew*

It has accidental start stop though.

I stall it when I go to start and it accidentally stops.

Fortunately mine is a '16 so it doesn't have it. *whew*

It has accidental start stop though.

I stall it when I go to start and it accidentally stops.

Im gussing ya dropped the clutch stalled it

When taking off slowly let your foot off the clutch

At the same time with your other foot give it just a little gas

Keeping your foot down too long burns the clutch

Letting it out jerky warps the cluch plate and bad on throw bearings

Now reverse gear is not "synchronized" yet if ya just ease that foot off the cluth and zero gas just ever so slowly for reverse nice n smooth

That said dont try to shift a 5 speed like a big truck youll kill it

Sure Ive hadda few old 70s 80s era Dodge Ford beaters worn in on a 4 speed ya could do that ...they were also much easier to fix yourself too

Anything newer dont burn it

Hadda recall notice on the jeep awhile back n while they were fixing it I thought id look around for the heck of it to kill some time

Almost everything 17 or newer has that equipted with start stop fuel saving technology

Not my first thought was just another high tech gizmo to malfunction

Secondly I wondered if that also included a heavy duty starter motor cause thats gonna take a real beating

Thirdly probably another grand mark up padded in as a factory equipt option

Last but not least @GAnthony pretty soon we aint gonna have no choice because now they putting this stuff on everything whether ya want it or not

That said Im keeping the Jeep and my old pickup until they are literally flying apart

Plus they both "paid" off now
i recall very well the UPS drivers that come on over to my d/c center to swap out trailers.

pull into yard, turn around, shut off engine, drop trailer

start up truck. bob tail over to trailer at dock door, hook up, shut off engine

go inside get bills, come out, start up truck, pull away and line up with empty trailer..shut off engine, drop loaded trailer

start up truck, pull over to empty trailer back up to it, shut off engine hook up

start up truck, take trailer over to dock door, shut off engine, drop trailer

start up truck, go over to loaded trailer, back up to trailer, shut off engine, hook up

start up truck, drive away

at EVERY location they go to all thier shift..

the UPS guys say, that the bean counters figured it's cheaper to replace starters and batteries every so often, than to waste fuel, for a simple drop and hook.....

maybe so, if you got a zillion trucks.

but does the average motorist care about gas mileage or costs, when they buy gas guzzling SUV's or pick up trucks..???

they can't all be like @Mike and by a Prius........dun'tcha know

i recall very well the UPS drivers that come on over to my d/c center to swap out trailers.

go inside get bills, come out, start up truck, pull away and line up with empty trailer..shut off engine, drop loaded trailer

start up truck, pull over to empty trailer back up to it, shut off engine hook up

start up truck, go over to loaded trailer, back up to trailer, shut off engine, hook up

the UPS guys say, that the bean counters figured it's cheaper to replace starters and batteries every so often, than to waste fuel, for a simple drop and hook.....

but does the average motorist care about gas mileage or costs, when they buy gas guzzling SUV's or pick up trucks..???

Yeah ours automatically shut down after like 2 minutes. Mine killed itself waiting in a construction zone right when the flagger flipped to SLOW. Lol. Ain't my 'kwipment.

My pickup I'll let it idle from the time I get ready for work until I've got my truck loaded with my stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

I had to do the same procedure with US Foodservice. I was doing an overnight linehaul. Hooking up and unhooking doubles, I had to shut the truck off each time I exited the cab. Skip it one time and there would be a phone call the next day.

I had to do the same procedure with US Foodservice. I was doing an overnight linehaul. Hooking up and unhooking doubles, I had to shut the truck off each time I exited the cab. Skip it one time and there would be a phone call the next day.
yeah, UPS drivers are very closely monitored.

Damn even we're not that closely monitored. Some of the trucks lack the shutdown programming and they don't say anything if you let it run.

Damn even we're not that closely monitored. Some of the trucks lack the shutdown programming and they don't say anything if you let it run.

They monitored it so closely that drivers were shutting their trucks off as they coasted up to the fuel pump at the yard in Little Rock.

Needless to say, for the year that I did that job, I got phone calls regularly.

Car manufacturers make their profit off of very expensive replacement parts. You think it bothers them any that you run that starter a hunnert extra cycles every day?

They monitored it so closely that drivers were shutting their trucks off as they coasted up to the fuel pump at the yard in Little Rock.

Needless to say, for the year that I did that job, I got phone calls regularly.
Yeah that would bug me. A year sounds about right. 😒

I mean that's kind of like harassment.

Yeah that would bug me. A year sounds about right. 😒

I mean that's kind of like harassment.

Honesty, I didn’t really care. I mean, I didn’t care to the point that they called and I laughed about it. I would have kept doing that job, but the money didn’t pan out the way it was supposed to.

Honesty, I didn’t really care. I mean, I didn’t care to the point that they called and I laughed about it. I would have kept doing that job, but the money didn’t pan out the way it was supposed to.
I'd stop answering the phone. When I was at USX, I changed my number and didn't tell 'em.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread