SPEED LIMITERS: Feds extend speed limiter comment period to Dec. 7

Maria

Diet Coke
Staff member
By Greg Grisolano, Land Line associate editor

The deadline to file comments on a proposed to mandate speed limiters in trucks over 26,000 pounds has been extended by 30 days, according to a release from the U.S. Department of Transportation.

The agency along with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration jointly announced the deadline extension on Tuesday, Nov. 1, less than a week before the comment period was originally scheduled to conclude. The new deadline of Dec. 7 “will provide all interested sufficient opportunity to fully develop and submit comments and evidentiary materials to the agencies,” according to the announcement.

- See more at: Speed limiters: Feds extend speed limiter comment period to Dec. 7

What part of "No" do they not understand?

That's the only comments they need to hear.

We're the citizens, they're the representatives. They work for us.

"No" should be all we need to say. They don't need an explanation. Just "no".

When we have to actually create arguments & cite statistics on an attempt to persuade them not to impose more bullshit on us, we're no longer citizens. We're oppressed peasants begging for mercy.

What part of "No" do they not understand?

That's the only comments they need to hear.

No, given that the comment period is extended, we need to push the entire industry, and everyone related to those in the industry, to flood them with comments.

Time is getting short on this.
I put off commenting myself until a few days ago because I had a word file started that was going to cite brilliant statistics and compelling comparisons of speed differentials and why they compromise safety.

The bottom line is that a fairly cognizant comment that actually gets filed is infinitely better than a lengthy litany that doesn't.

There are only about 3800 comments filed or about 1 in 1,000 CMV drivers...
one in 100 would really get some attention.

Here are OOIDA's talking points.

I sent this letter to my Senators and Congressman and other Gov. reps.:
The Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association (OOIDA) and the Western States Trucking Association(WSTA) vehemently oppose this proposal, it is damaging to owner-operators’ and independents’ ability to compete in the marketplace against larger carriers.
The speed differential created between trucks and other vehicles on the highway poses a much greater safety risk than higher truck speeds. “Instead of relying upon concrete evidence and data about actual motor carrier and driver experience associated with speed limiters, the agencies have resorted to postulating a theoretical reduction in crash severity and environmental benefits.”
The rule’s initiation is illegal, given new stipulations passed last year by Congress in the FAST Act highway bill. Rules classified as “major rules,” as the limiter mandate is, have to be initiated as an Advanced Notice of Proposed Rulemaking or a Negotiated Rulemaking.
The Western States Trucking Association-“ Neither the NHTSA nor the FMCSA have the legal authority to promulgate a rule to mandate speed limiters”
Texas Public Policy Foundation who developed comments on behalf of WSTA, a Texas-based trucker and a Texas-based carrier.“Contrary to the statements made in the preamble, the joint proposed rules are not based on any safety need but, rather, on a misguided effort to use federal traffic safety laws to govern emissions of greenhouse gases from trucks.Neither the NHTSA nor the FMCSA has the legal authority to misuse federal law in that manner,” the proposal is“misguided, counterproductive, illegal and dangerous.”
Thousands of truckers and small business trucking companies show they agree with OOIDA’s and WSTA’s assertions. The proposed rule is unsafe, overly intrusive and unnecessary.

From Sen. Tom Cotton:
February 14, 2017
Dear Vance,
Thank you for contacting me about the impact of federal regulations on trucking operations. It’s good to hear from you, as always.
In late August, the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration (NHTSA) and Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA) released a proposed rule that would limit the speed of heavy commercial vehicles by requiring carriers to install speed-limiting devices set at a designated maximum speed. The NHTSA and FMSCA have yet to specify the maximum speed, although the agencies have considered 60, 65, and 68 miles-per-hour.
I understand your concerns with this proposed rule, and I believe it is important that regulations from agencies such as the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration be made with full awareness of the economic costs as well as the impacts on small businesses and working families. As you know, while many federal regulations are intended to improve public safety, they often fall short of that goal and have adverse unintended consequences.
Congress is tasked with conducting oversight of these federal departments and ensuring that regulations are effective and properly targeted. I will continue to monitor the NHTSA and FMCSA and should legislation regarding this proposed rule come before the Senate for a vote, please rest assured that I will keep your views on this issue in mind. And, I hope you will continue to keep me informed of your opinion.
I’m truly honored to serve as your Senator; please know that your interests and affairs have my unceasing attention. Always feel free to call my office at (202) 224-2353 or visit www.cotton.senate.gov.
Sincerely,
ttccBfweNl7S85N-gaobOGycUwBUxbS1vpaCLfsFtBGbA2xuvZASUjH5FeZWtidYE7ZIc8yZ8HiwStm7bYYF12Su7uKkyNE-5diF5WhtiCobKoJxMp0=s0-d-e1-ft

Tom Cotton
United States Senator

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread