Should Texting And E-mail Capable Cellphones And PDA's Be Banned?

I have a friend who does repos in Vegas, and as you can imagine, he's not only usually pretty busy, but he also sees some pretty high end cars. Some of the higher ones can incorporate systems that can be keyed to an owners thumbprint. Some states are now also mandating for convicted drunk drivers that they blow into an electronic doo-hickey before the car will start.

Technology will someday wipe our butt for us.

Then send a report to the government about what we ate, and what we should be prohibited from eating.

Those of you calling for ANY type of new laws, about ANYTHING...be careful for what you wish.

I'm not calling for any new laws Sinister, I'm calling for people to get their head out of their A , well you get the picture. When in a vehicle in motion; like it or not the person has a responsibility to the others on the byways to operate that vehicle as safe and curtious as humanly possible. I do realize that it only takes common sense, but look at the morons were speaking of

Another thing. As stated by the powers that be, driving is not a "Right", it is a "Privelege".

That's true but mandated by State, If you break some State/Fed. laws they have the power to revoke the privelege.
A privelege that in all area's is highly taxed.

i must be old and out of touch with reality or something. i have never sent a text message...dont know how...dont wanna know how. if its important enough for me to use my phone, i wanna talk to a real person. i dont even like to answer my phone when im moving. most of the time i dont. thats what messages are for.

New Law

You all are gonna love this.There's a new law that came into affect today.I have'nt looked it up on the official site yet but my dad heard it on tonights news.Any truck drivers and bus drivers that get caught texting while driving,there is a THREE THOUSAND DOLLAR FINE waiting for them.This law ONLY pertains to all CDL holders NOT the 4 wheelers.They can text all they want.I don't text while driving anyway,but don't you just wanna bash a few skulls in?I know I do.

You all are gonna love this.There's a new law that came into affect today.I have'nt looked it up on the official site yet but my dad heard it on tonights news.Any truck drivers and bus drivers that get caught texting while driving,there is a THREE THOUSAND DOLLAR FINE waiting for them.This law ONLY pertains to all CDL holders NOT the 4 wheelers.They can text all they want.I don't text while driving anyway,but don't you just wanna bash a few skulls in?I know I do.

Its a new law for truckers yes...but not a new law for four wheelers 19 states before today had already had bans in place for ALL drivers for texting..CNN said this morning first offense could be $700.00 ...but the DOT says up to $2750.00

if people wanna do all this stuff while driving. let them . less people in the world to me. i call it population control.
kinda like seat belts. and motorcycle helmets.

Dayripper, I agree, mother nature created accidents to eliminate the mentally weak from the gene pool (yes, I know it sounds cold) just like she created the food chain to eliminate the physically weak. With all the 'safety' features, laws and an increasingly knowledgeable medical system, the 'weak' have been allowed to survive mother nature's intent and have reproduced, (thus explaining the liberal) and the world's population has exploded

So does this hefty fine apply to ALL DRIVERS or just CDL holders.If not what is the fine for 4wheelers?
Its a new law for truckers yes...but not a new law for four wheelers 19 states before today had already had bans in place for ALL drivers for texting..CNN said this morning first offense could be $700.00 ...but the DOT says up to $2750.00

So does this hefty fine apply to ALL DRIVERS or just CDL holders.If not what is the fine for 4wheelers?

Up to $2750.00 for CDL drivers as of yesterday...I don't know what the 19 individual states that already had the ban in place charge but for those it is for ALL drivers.

I'd like to know why commercial drivers were specifically targeted, and how in hell that's legal. Oh, wait, I think I found the answer in Obama's administrations frame of mind in this article.

The federal ban on truck driver texting announced Jan. 26 is just the opening salvo in a campaign to control distracted driving.

"We take texting while driving as an epidemic," Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said last week after he announced that DOT has banned truck and bus drivers from texting while they are driving, and will levy civil and criminal penalties up to $2,750 for violations.

"We think it's our responsibility and obligation to do whatever we can in the near term before we get to a rule to send a signal that we're serious about this," LaHood said.

The ban, which took effect immediately, is based on an interpretation of a federal rule that says DOT can regulate equipment that decreases safety.

With this approach, DOT has leapfrogged the time-consuming regulatory process. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has begun work on a proposed rule on distracted driving that is likely to include a texting ban but also will cover the use of other onboard equipment. The guidance that was issued yesterday does not prohibit use of onboard technology such as electronic dispatching and fleet management systems. These devices will be covered in the proposed rule. That rule will take many months to complete, however, and LaHood is anxious to get things moving.

"We have the authority to do it and we're doing it," he said. "The message is that this is serious business. People think they can drive safely while using a cell phone and they can't, they can't text and drive safely. Frankly, I'm very impatient about this."

They "interpreted" a present ruling to suit their purpose.

Bullshit.

I hate this administration, and can't wait for it to end.

if people wanna do all this stuff while driving. let them . less people in the world to me. i call it population control.
kinda like seat belts. and motorcycle helmets.

What if one of them crashes into your family? Chances are, if someone is texting in traffic, they aren't going to just kill themselves.

Think before you type.

LOL

Maybe I should restate...We should empower/require our police to remove obviously/dangerously stupid people from the public venues. I think if we are gonna talk safety, lets include the people driving cars, pickups,SUV's, whatever.

We should also require the law enforcement employees to abide by the same laws as the rest of us. I recently witnesses a California Highway Patrol car headed Northbound on I-5 South of Tracy at somwhere near triple digits, no emergency lights and 2 officers in the front seat and BOTH of them were texting or otherwise fiddling with cell phones or iPhones.

Not only driving recklessly but doing so distracted and endangering the very people they are empowered to protect.

Here is another group that should be banned from cell phone use while driving
wgrz.com | Buffalo, NY | New York State Trooper from WNY Killed in Accident

this is like the third accident this year I have heard of about cops getting in accidents while talking on the phone, I wonder how many times it has happened, what are the numbers

Governor Paterson released the following statement on the death of Trooper Mattice:
"It was with great sadness that I learned today of the death of Trooper Jill E. Mattice, a nearly seven-year veteran of the New York State Police who was killed this afternoon in a vehicular accident in Otsego County. Trooper Mattice was assigned to the State Police Duty Station in Oneonta and served as a School Resource Officer at Unadilla Valley High School and Franklin Central Schools. Her community was enhanced by her service; her State is humbled by her sacrifice. Trooper Mattice is the first female member of the New York State Police to be killed in the line of duty. On behalf of all New Yorkers, it is with profound gratitude for her service that I offer my deepest condolences to her family, friends and colleagues."
With all due respect, do these guys even think before they engage their mouths?

Sacrifice? I don't see her death as a sacrifice, but more like a terrible tragedy. These people are supposed to be role models for the rest of us aren't they?

This young woman's passing is a sad and tragic thing, and no doubt she left family and friends behind, but it is also something that could have been avoided with some common sense.

Yes I believe texting and e-mail capable cellphones and PDA's should certainly be banned and use while driving should be treated as attempted homicide.

Same article as I psoted above...

THE ENFORCEMENT QUESTION

LaHood and Ferro were asked to address the question of enforcement: How can state and local police monitor driver behavior?

From LaHood's perspective, enforcement is difficult - "we need to figure it out" - but is just one aspect of a long-term campaign to get people to take individual responsibility for not letting themselves be distracted when they are driving, the same way that public awareness efforts have spread the use of seatbelts and reduced drunken driving.

In other words, they don't know. They just made a "feel good" ruling on the subject to appease CRASH and whoever else.

It's crap. It targets commecial drivers, and should be thrown out as a result.

With all due respect, do these guys even think before they engage their mouths?

Sacrifice? I don't see her death as a sacrifice, but more like a terrible tragedy. These people are supposed to be role models for the rest of us aren't they?

This young woman's passing is a sad and tragic thing, and no doubt she left family and friends behind, but it is also something that could have been avoided with some common sense.

Yes I believe texting and e-mail capable cellphones and PDA's should certainly be banned and use while driving should be treated as attempted homicide.
If the cops. ( The people empowered to protect us) Are as stupid as the motoring public. (Which seems to be the case here) And are killing themselves by texting while driving, then apparently they don't see a problem with it (texting). Or, They are supposed to enforce a double-standard....hmmm

Personally, the exposure that I have had in recent years with members of the law enforcement agencies leads me to believe that the average goldfish is brighter than most of them...

Same article as I psoted above...

In other words, they don't know. They just made a "feel good" ruling on the subject to appease CRASH and whoever else.

It's crap. It targets commecial drivers, and should be thrown out as a result.

If the cops. ( The people empowered to protect us) Are as stupid as the motoring public. (Which seems to be the case here) And are killing themselves by texting while driving, then apparently they don't see a problem with it (texting). Or, They are supposed to enforce a double-standard....hmmm

Personally, the exposure that I have had in recent years with members of the law enforcement agencies leads me to believe that the average goldfish is brighter than most of them...

Here, here, my sentiments exactly.

My My My, you got what you asked for then bitch bitch bitch.................
an interpretation of a federal rule that says DOT can regulate equipment that decreases safety.
So Sinister you feel this is something new?
Wrong!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread