• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

Schneider National Hiring In 2010

2xR

******* Derelict *******
Here ya' go peeps... Your chance to drive a pumpkin truck may be on the horizon. :nod:

2/9/2010

Schneider National Plans to Recruit Regional Drivers This Year

Schneider National is looking to add 2,500 drivers to its regional driving fleet this year, with operations offices in the West, Southwest, Midwest, Southeast and Northeast.

"Work-life balance is more important than ever to today's professional truck driver," said Mike Hinz, vice president, Schneider National. "Schneider's regional driving opportunities are a perfect fit for those drivers who want to make a good living with a company that will be here tomorrow, and at the same time, enjoy more time at home with their families."

Read the entire article at TruckingInfo.com

That's a huge numbe makes me wonder why.I imagine many other companies have a high number quitting as well.

You might not know it but most of these big trucking companies have 100% plus in turnover every year, I think the worst I ever heard of was Arrow who one year had 130% turnover, and their recruter claimed it was the industry norm

You might not know it but most of these big trucking companies have 100% plus in turnover every year, I think the worst I ever heard of was Arrow who one year had 130% turnover, and their recruter claimed it was the industry norm
I worked for Schneider from 05-07. During that time the turnover rate was around 125%. It is the norm for the CDL mill type companies! Most people get the training and some stay long enough to work off the indentured servitude then hit the road for better pay and descent home time.

I think some of the companies prefer it, that way they get reimbursed by the gov't for new hires and the drivers who they have to pay more to because of experience the let quit and don't try to keep them, A guy in another post was saying he was going to start off at $.26 a mile, compare that to a guy who will stay with the company 5 or 6 years and they have to pay him $.35 or more

I was in one of the last classes before Schneider stopped training inexperienced drivers. I have now been with them for a little over a year and a half and just recently finished paying off my tuition. Schneider is the only trucking company I've worked for, but from what I've heard you could certainly do a lot worse than Schneider. I'm a solo driver, and I would say loads average about 60% drop and hook. The live loads usually have waits of no more than an hour or two. If over an hour they will pay $15/hour detention pay. There are things I don't like with Schneider, but from what I hear all trucking companies have problems. My miles are probably averaging about 2500/week and they do get me home, although usually a few days late. I'm supposed to be home every 2 weeks and get 5 days off per month. It's set up where I get 2 day and then 3 day weekends alternating very two weeks. If they et me home on Monday and I was supposed to be home on Friday, then I get my 2 or 3 days off starting from when I get home. I am now making .34/mile and have just become eligible for quarterly bonuses. Don't know how much those pay as I've never received one yet. I have been able to achieve the rqurements to get bonuses, just wasn't eligible due to being an inexperienced driver. Now they consider me an experienced driver! Schneider seems willing to listen to drivers, and so far I have not seen them screwing drivers over like I've heard other companies doing. I admit I'm looking into maybe going with another trucking company now that my tuition obligation is taken care of, but I'm going to be careful about leaving Schneider....Another thing about SNI is if you feel conditions aren't safe to drive, then all you have to do is tell them and they will not force you to drive. They are also very strict on HOS. You absolutely better not be driving and breaking the HOS rules. I would be happy to answer any questions about SNI. I have an old truck...a 2003 freightliner with over 8 hundred thousand miles on it and I was a little bitter about getting assigned such an old truck...but it has never left me broken down on the road. I do put it in the shop about half the time when I come home though. A good place to find out about SNI is Pumkindriver.com.

mesquite all trucking co,s have thier problems just depends on which problems ur willing to deal with. if ur happy where u r thats the main thing.

rob pretty well hit it on the head.....each of us like different operating systems that companies have pick the one that operates in the way most comfortable for you and go with it......

I was in one of the last classes before Schneider stopped training inexperienced drivers. I have now been with them for a little over a year and a half and just recently finished paying off my tuition. Schneider is the only trucking company I've worked for, but from what I've heard you could certainly do a lot worse than Schneider. I'm a solo driver, and I would say loads average about 60% drop and hook. The live loads usually have waits of no more than an hour or two. If over an hour they will pay $15/hour detention pay. There are things I don't like with Schneider, but from what I hear all trucking companies have problems. My miles are probably averaging about 2500/week and they do get me home, although usually a few days late. I'm supposed to be home every 2 weeks and get 5 days off per month. It's set up where I get 2 day and then 3 day weekends alternating very two weeks. If they et me home on Monday and I was supposed to be home on Friday, then I get my 2 or 3 days off starting from when I get home. I am now making .34/mile and have just become eligible for quarterly bonuses. Don't know how much those pay as I've never received one yet. I have been able to achieve the rqurements to get bonuses, just wasn't eligible due to being an inexperienced driver. Now they consider me an experienced driver! Schneider seems willing to listen to drivers, and so far I have not seen them screwing drivers over like I've heard other companies doing. I admit I'm looking into maybe going with another trucking company now that my tuition obligation is taken care of, but I'm going to be careful about leaving Schneider....Another thing about SNI is if you feel conditions aren't safe to drive, then all you have to do is tell them and they will not force you to drive. They are also very strict on HOS. You absolutely better not be driving and breaking the HOS rules. I would be happy to answer any questions about SNI. I have an old truck...a 2003 freightliner with over 8 hundred thousand miles on it and I was a little bitter about getting assigned such an old truck...but it has never left me broken down on the road. I do put it in the shop about half the time when I come home though. A good place to find out about SNI is Pumkindriver.com.

You shouldn't be too far from a new truck, that's if things are the same. I was with them for a short time in 01. They didn't seem to bad at that time. Safety was a huge priority with them, that's what got my attention. I don't like being pushed to operate beyond my limits and they didn't do that. Just be glad they didn't put your ass in a cab over. When I was there all new solo drivers were assigned one for a period of time. I drove team, so I didn't have to deal with that. The quarterly bonuses were 500 if I remember correctly, but they might be different now. Dispatch wasn't bad to deal with, and I really liked the OC's. Seemed like I passed one every other day. I would stick around until the industry picks up again, unless your un-happy there. Just my 2

I agree arrow claimed the same and look at their drivers now.

Here ya go, man, act fast as the openings may not last.

Thank you, but I already did my homework on Schneider. 6 MONTHS FIRST SEAT driver experience needed - I DO NOT have that. Then there is my termination on my DAC....... Thanks though. I think I need to probably wait another 5 years or so when the industry gets desperate for drivers again LOL.

I do know a former Schneider driver. He says the company is decent. There are better. There are far worse. If I could get in - I would.

I was supposed to start with Schneider in November of 2008. That was a month after retiring from Chrysler with 36+ years there. About a week before my starting time I was called and told that they were no longer going to be having classes in Wisconsin. I went and got my class A cdl on my own, but it's been about a year with no driving job. Maybe someday.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread