Rigmaster Muffler Modification

** Commie Express **
Premium
I posted this in a different topic. The noise from the Rigmaster is NOT from the muffler as I've stated before. The reason I did the following was to get the exhaust away from the cab. On a few occasions the wind was just right and I could smell the fumes so I had a new muffler installed.

I was home and it was a Wed morning when Midas Muffler was just opening. Everyone went mental when they found out they were going to do a custom job instead of the same old crap.

They cut the muffler off and welded a new extension pipe that was bent to run down the frame of the truck to the back. A car muffler was installed. They charged me $130. It should have cost a lot more but they were so happy to do something other then replacing the muffler on a 10 year old Toyota.

ai1064.photobucket.com_albums_u380_sbooth1_muf3_zps2400d773.jpg

ai1064.photobucket.com_albums_u380_sbooth1_muf1_zps84d45abf.jpg

ai1064.photobucket.com_albums_u380_sbooth1_muf2_zps1fa5375b.jpg

I saw an older Pete long-nose (I'd call it a 379, but I'm not sure that's what it was) with dual pipes up the sides in PA. He was parked at the truck stop and there was exhaust coming out only one pipe. My first reaction was WTH?? I asked him about it.

He had plumbed his APU exhaust to the engine exhaust just above the upward bending elbow. I thought it was pretty smart. It got the exhaust away from his cab without pumping it under somebody else's truck.

I'm not sure whether you can tap into modern exhaust pipes for the same purpose with DPF and all that. But there's nothing keeping a guy from running a second exhaust pipe for the APU behind or next to the existing engine exhaust pipe.

I thought about getting my exhaust pipe sleeved and tapping into the sleeve to exhaust the APU when I had that Cascadia. But I kind'a liked the Damascus steel look the chrome developed from all that heat.

That was my first thought and when I asked many experts in the engine field they had a fit and talked of all sorts of reasons not to due to the back pressure and crap being blown back into the APU.

Also, most trucks stacks go up and down with the cab suspension. The APU does not and is tied to the frame on a different suspension. You would have to have one major flex pipe that's capable of flexing many inches.

Also, most trucks stacks go up and down with the cab suspension. The APU does not and is tied to the frame on a different suspension. You would have to have one major flex pipe that's capable of flexing many inches.
Maybe on a classic with the exhaust stacks located in front of the sleeper like on yours.

Next time you see a truck with the stacks behind the sleeper, take a look at it & see how they're mounted.
I know for a fact that on a Volvo 780, unless it's a grass burner, the stacks are mounted to this big heavy looking thing that attaches to both friggin' frame rails & looks like it's strong enough to hang the entire truck from & swing it around in circles from a big crane. I was trying to figure out why the one I was driving weighed 20,300 lbs bobtail with 240 gal of fuel. There's no reason for the exhaust stack support to be made out of freakin' bridge beams but that's what they did. :coocoo:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread