• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

Review Of Averitt Express

veenstra

Tennessee Trucker
Oh Boy, this is a good one here. Several things I could address.
1. If you have tattoos that can't be covered (forget it) they hold themselves to a higher level, you have to pass a personal interview b4 you can even get to orientation. They are sooo special, the typical truckdriver, no matter how good or how much experience you have, if you don't meet their "standards" of acceptance in your looks, you will be told to get lost.

2. They have gone to "ALL" automatic transmissions to attract the Newer breed of steering wheel holders who can't shift.

3. They tell you in orientation to expect 2100 to 2300 miles a week, but this is a lie. I averaged 1700 miles, some weeks less than 900. You have to work there a few years b4 you get the good loads.

4. They want you to fuel at their terminals, which causes you to go out of route just to fuel up, which equates to more miles you don't get paid for.

5. The Driver Manager I had got mad as hell because I kept complaining about the lack of miles. Kept telling me things will pickup, after 5 months of waiting it never did. Told me if I got my Haz Mat I would get more loads, never was assigned even 1 Haz Mat load after getting my HM endorsement.

6. If things don't work out, your stuck with their dorkey uniforms (5-sets) I also purchased jackets and hats I shelled out over $300. No refund for these items. I think they have a scam going on with the uniform company.

7. Their motto is "THINK RED INSTEAD" You'll end up going in the "RED" instead.

8. You'll think you have a good load with good miles, then 1/2 way into the trip, you'll get a Qual Com message to drop the load at a terminal, or relay with another driver.

9.Their image is more important than the drivers. They think they are the military or something, Hell, you can't even wear your own hat, Only approved "Averitt" hats can be worn, or no hat at all.

10. No beards, Sideburns, only a neatly trimmed short mustache is allowed.

11. Every driver I spoke to had nothing but complaints about the pitiful mileage they were getting and still Averitt was putting on additional drivers, even some of the drivers who had been there awhile weren't getting the miles.

12. Talk to more than one Averitt driver b4 you decide to go there, especially the new drivers. Like I said you have to pay your dues for a few years b4 you get any mileage out of these people. It's a joke, I feel like I wasted 5 months with low pay hoping it was going to get better, at least that was want they kept telling me.

I have "almost" new uniforms (5-sets) if you want to save some $ should anyone wat to sign up

"Right"

Wow nothing new on or about Averitt in over 2 years... does this company really suck.. im seriously thinking of going there as i need refresher training (which they pay for according to their website) plus they are like 5 minutes from my house..
anyone work there currently? does this place really suck or is it just typically bs like all other companies where you have good days and bad.. ?? any info would be seriously appreciated.
Truckload is pretty much like truckload anywhere else, except the pay is decent and the benefits are among the best. In six years I have never missed a weekend or holiday.

Dpending on your location, you may be able to work into a dedicated position or transfer to LTL side, among other options. I'm guessing you might be near Erlanger KY. If so, that is a good yard to work out of.

Wow nothing new on or about Averitt in over 2 years... does this company really suck.. im seriously thinking of going there as i need refresher training (which they pay for according to their website) plus they are like 5 minutes from my house..
anyone work there currently? does this place really suck or is it just typically bs like all other companies where you have good days and bad.. ?? any info would be seriously appreciated.

Seach this site for @hatchettxx he drives OTR for them and is very happy.

Truckload is pretty much like truckload anywhere else, except the pay is decent and the benefits are among the best. In six years I have never missed a weekend or holiday.

Dpending on your location, you may be able to work into a dedicated position or transfer to LTL side, among other options. I'm guessing you might be near Erlanger KY. If so, that is a good yard to work out of.

yes im right down the street from the Erlanger yard.. but have to start somewhere else as they dont hire people with cdls that have not driven in over 5 years....

yes im right down the street from the Erlanger yard.. but have to start somewhere else as they dont hire people with cdls that have not driven in over 5 years....

They are taking grads from certain CDl schools, right now. Ive been with their Truckload Division for a year now and have no problems and complaints. What you read in early posts about hubby not getting home for the holiday, looks to me the fellow didn't go about it the right way. They would of relayed the load if he would of picked it up like he was supposed to. As far as AE dispatchers/fleetmanagers, I have been blessed with a good FM, (all companies have good, bad, different personality, dispatchers. Take for instance I got caught in wrong part of country to get home in time for Thanksgiving, my FM, made up for it by offering to add days off after I got home. The pay is good, and AE has excellent benefits. I get the miles I want. In the year that I've been with them I have been home every weekend except 2, the situation above, and I volunteered the other.

I worked for Averitt for exactly two weeks starting in February 2014. Fortunately, my previous employer (Dart Transit) had told me when I quit that if it didn't work out I was always welcome back.
Beware that Averitt will offer you benefits beyond your wildest dreams, only to find out at orientation that they are phased in over a 5 year period. This awesome health insurance? One will only be available for a basic plan the first year. The awesome short term and long term disability insurance? Same thing, one must be at Averitt for a few years before it's available.
Averitt may be better suited for new drivers right out of school that don't care much for miles or benefits and just seeking experience. If you can hang a few years, maybe the benefits are worth it.
By the way, the owner is a bigot. Read the actual employee guide and you'll see what I mean. I have more pride in myself and my abilities than to ever work for Averitt again.

I"m not sure why a company should immediately invest all their benefits into an employee that just showed up. I certainly wouldn't if I were in charge.

I worked for Averitt for exactly two weeks starting in February 2014. Fortunately, my previous employer (Dart Transit) had told me when I quit that if it didn't work out I was always welcome back.
Beware that Averitt will offer you benefits beyond your wildest dreams, only to find out at orientation that they are phased in over a 5 year period. This awesome health insurance? One will only be available for a basic plan the first year. The awesome short term and long term disability insurance? Same thing, one must be at Averitt for a few years before it's available.
Averitt may be better suited for new drivers right out of school that don't care much for miles or benefits and just seeking experience. If you can hang a few years, maybe the benefits are worth it.
By the way, the owner is a bigot. Read the actual employee guide and you'll see what I mean. I have more pride in myself and my abilities than to ever work for Averitt again.

Exactly what sinister said is true, why invest all benefits on an employee when an employee is new. I've drove for other companies and yes they do start you out on a probationary period. @HarrisTX I've drove for Averitt for almost 3 years now, truckload division. Yes you start out basic plan for 1st year, then 2nd. year you can get full plan. You can't expect and I hope you don't expect to just jump right in there and get full coverage right off the start. Not a few years your vested in 2. Sorry you are dissatisfied with them, I'm doing good with them, I get the miles I wan't, (depends on the driver). The reason I'm defending Averitt is that like I said, I've driven for other companies, and Averitt has been good to me, that is my opinion. I let my FM know right from the start that I like to run hard, and he does. but good luck in finding the "perfect" trucking company.

I dunno about Averitt...... for weeks I get drivers who are pretty good but the *bang* I get a whole series of them who think the proper passing procedure is to start crowding the truck you're passing as soon as you cab goes by his mirrors. Several times I've had to take the shoulder and brake to keep from getting side-swiped. I've given up calling in truck numbers.

I dunno about Averitt...... for weeks I get drivers who are pretty good but the *bang* I get a whole series of them who think the proper passing procedure is to start crowding the truck you're passing as soon as you cab goes by his mirrors. Several times I've had to take the shoulder and brake to keep from getting side-swiped. I've given up calling in truck numbers.

Looks to me that alot of them need retraining or took off the road if they are doing that. I'll bring it to my FM's attention for you. @Southern Fried

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread