GPS Rand McNally GPS

OnMyOwn

I would like to find out how many of you drivers are using a Rand McNally GPS. Please tell me which model GPS are you using and when was the last time you had an actual map update and MPH update. I don't mean a road construction, I mean an actual map update. Please tell me what the version number is. Thank you for your effort and extra time it takes to reply to me. Have a safe and profitable day.

I would like to find out how many of you drivers are using a Rand McNally GPS. Please tell me which model GPS are you using and when was the last time you had an actual map update and MPH update. I don't mean a road construction, I mean an actual map update. Please tell me what the version number is. Thank you for your effort and extra time it takes to reply to me. Have a safe and profitable day.
i have an very old 510. i did not get lifetime maps, that was an extra $85 i believe. be careful too, that there is only so much memory/space these things have. i was going to get a micro card for added memory, but since i do a regular route, i have no more a need for the GPS as it is. be careful too, that the d/c plug wire is very thin and breaks real easily, i have had mine replaced once, under warranty.

so what i did was loop maybe 2-3 loops of cord at the plug to the lighter sockets so that it does not swing or get broken from continued plugging in and taking out.

Last edited:
510 - been awhile since I got an update. The files are too large to successfully download without a wired internet connection.

I have the 530. It worked Pretty well for quite a while. Seems as though it gets worse with each update though.

Many addresses, it cannot find.

What’s worse, sometimes it finds addresses, but takes you to a location a mile or more from the actual address.

Used to depend on it without a problem, now I verify every location with google maps.

Next GPS will be a Garmin.

Next GPS will be a Garmin.
I have both.

The ability to "find" an address is dependent on the address database - and how frequently you update the unit. I usually get a lat/long from a satellite view when an address lookup doesn't find it.

My opinion? Garmin is an inferior product.

My opinion?

Nobody asked for your opinion ;)

Mine stays updated, just seems to get worse with each update. Crashes and reboots constantly, but at least in the last few updates, they set it where it would actually reboot on it's own without me having to reset it.

I think mine just went bad over time. It constantly tries to get me to do uturns, even after turning uturns off. Absolute fail when it comes to rerouting, it refuses to come off the original route unless I cancel it and re-run the route.

Nobody asked for your opinion ;)

Mine stays updated, just seems to get worse with each update. Crashes and reboots constantly, but at least in the last few updates, they set it where it would actually reboot on it's own without me having to reset it.

I think mine just went bad over time. It constantly tries to get me to do uturns, even after turning uturns off. Absolute fail when it comes to rerouting, it refuses to come off the original route unless I cancel it and re-run the route.
You must have infected it with Garmin disease.

:thumbsup:

I don't use anything except Google Maps with Satellite view.

Problem I have with it is the screen is jumpy. I want to move the view along the route to get an idea of what the road looks like, but it hops back to where it thinks it wants to be. This started with some update they did last year sometime and I have no idea what the purpose is supposed to be. It's really irritating.

But overall, since I despise turn-by-turn navigation, Google Maps works. There are very few addresses it can't find.

I bought a Garmin when I started this gig in May.
I forget which model but it was one of the priciest they had.
It wasn't worth crap.
Took it back and got a RM TND 740.

I've updated the maps on it twice and both times, once a destination is entered,
it will calculate the route, pop it up on screen,
give you the first turn,
and then pop a screen that says "NO LEGAL ROUTE COULD BE FOUND".

I did it once at a T\S on wifi and just yesterday on a tether to my desktop.
Had to restore it to original configuration both times to get it working.
Then I get a popup saying that my maps are outdated and over a year old.
It tells me to update maps for reliable routes...

THAT SONOVAB....
:explode:

:mad-97:

I bought a 740 lm not long ago, maybe three months ago. It did a maps update about 2 weeks ago. Out looks to be version 5.1.4191. I'm not sure if that's the operating system version or maps version though. I had the 520 lm before and all but the over the air updates I get on this one, I liked the 520 better but it got a little buggy and parts of the touch screen stopped working properly. The 740 seems to be a little more careful about where it tells you to turn if you miss the proper turn. The operating system is a little more of a pain to navigate though and that's what I don't like about it. It takes like 2 or 3 more clicks to accomplish most tasks than the 520 took. As always, make sure to use the atlas on ground street routes and it's always good to check on Google maps satellite about whether the gps address matches the truck gate access at your address as well. That can save you allot of pains.

I've updated the maps on it twice and both times, once a destination is entered,
it will calculate the route, pop it up on screen,
give you the first turn,
and then pop a screen that says "NO LEGAL ROUTE COULD BE FOUND".
Double check the truck and route settings...

Also,
the damn timers turned themselves on and they won't let me turn them off.
As soon as I take off I get a popup saying that my drive time is expired.
[shut up @Tazz , you prink! :thefinger:]

My moving avcg is 16 mph...
well, yeah, you DMF!
You only allow me to drive 15 minutes a day...
I can't leave the damn parking lot!!
:rant:

:mad-97:

I use CoPilot on my phone for truck navigation and Google maps satellite for the layout of the area.

I got CoPilot because it's the same garbage US Xpress was using in it's Qualcommy type device. But it isn't that bad as a phone app.

Disclaimer: I very seldom have to find a brand new customer location.

Copilot was supposed to be on our new tablets............They made them install navigo after the first two trials.

I don't think I've ever used Navigo but you might be better off. Copilot isn't BAD but it's not great either. I like that it's an onboard storage app so I don't have to rely on an internet connection.

That and I done paid for it and ain't buying another.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread