Question about VED 12 Engine, and a ISX Cummins

bfry381

I have a question on a 2004, and a 2006 Volvo. The 2004 Volvo they want 19,500 for it. It's a 10 speed and has 652,000 miles on it with a ISX Cummins. The other one is closer to my house it's a 2006 volvo model 630 with a VED 12 engine in it. It has 724,000 miles on it. So the one truck is 2 years older with a ISX cummins and has less miles, but the 2006 is 2 years newer, but has more miles and has the VED engine in it. I have only drove Detroits, and Cats. I have no experience with VED engines, and not to much with cummins. I have heard nightmares about VED Engines and I have heard they are great. My buddy has a model 630 Volvo with 850 some thousand miles and he has only had to replace the turbo and gets around 7-7.5 mpg hauling. My other friend is a mechanic and all he works on is ISX cummins engine and he told me they have trouble with the egr valves etc... So my question is which truck should I get? They want 18,500 for the 06 which is a grand cheaper than the 2004, but it has the VED 12 in it. I know everyone will probably go with the ISX Cummins, but I just wanted to get a outlook on everything before I purchased one of these trucks. Both are 10 speeds and have been fleet maintained. Thank you so much for your time!

My company has bought a few Volvo-powered Volvos lately. :bonk: I thought they learned their lesson in 2005 when they bought a bunch of trucks with the Volvo engines in them. They were gutless piles of crap, got 5.5 mpg and the jakes didn't do a damn thing except make some noise.

The Cummins ISX Volvos from that era did have EGR issues, as well as electrical issues. But they were far superior to the Volvo engines. They had more power, got better fuel economy, and the jakes held better on a grade.

I'd spend the extra grand & get the ISX.

FYI though, .. my company trades their trucks off when they hit 500,000 miles. So we've never operated any with the kind of mileage you're talking about.

Let me see.

A Cummins ISX.

Or

A Volvo D12 boat anchor.

I just can't decide.

Hey, didn't I post about this very thing here before? Why yes Virginia, I did!

All EGR equipped engines will have troubles with the EGR. I guarantee it.

I drove two nearly identical 780 Volvo rigs. One had the ISX the other the D12.

Both had EGR's replaced at about 500,000 to 600,000 miles.

The Cummins was a 15 liter, 550hp. I regularly got 6mpg with it, running unrestricted and 3 to 5 mph over the limit even in high speed limit states. A couple times I got over 7 mpg with it.

I never wished it had better power.

Ever.

The D12 was a freakin' pig. Running the same lanes and the same loads I never got better than 5 mpg with it, usually about 4. The damn thing wouldn't pull an empty trailer over freeway overpasses without needing to go down a full gear. The oil pressure sensor went bad out in Western Kansas. I limped it into the Volvo dealer in Denver. It cost $1,500 to put a new sensor in it. The sensor had to be "programmed" by the technician with the laptop.

$1,500 for an oil pressure sensor.

What a freakin' racket.

I always wished I still had the one with the Cummins.

Even though it was a Volvo.

[MENTION=3730]Racer X 69[/MENTION], he's looking for help from members on the site. Makes perfect sense to me.

Just because you guys can edit your posts invisibly.

Where's @Tazz's birdie smiley?

:bighug2::grabass:

My connection has been sucky tonight. I tried to post, then the site appeared to go down. Then I thought about some really important stuff and fixed it without having to quote it.

That ISX is a solid engine, we see very few with problems, and we get a lot of them. Mostly plugged DPFs but in a 2004 that won't be a problem.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the feedback! My other friend has a 1990 Pete he's wanting to sell me for 8,000 and he has done a lot of work to it clutch, radiator, compressor, etc... It's a 9 speed with a big cam 400 cummins in it. I think the Volvo would be my best bet with the ISX, but I kinda like not having the payment with the 8,000 dollar truck. Also it only has I think 751,000 original miles. Thanks again I really appreciate everyones input on this!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread