Question about modifying the little air actuator on C-15 upper turbo….

corneileous

Being that my boss doesn’t sound like he’s really all that concerned and doing the single turbo conversion on my 2004 Pete with the Acert C-15 twin turbo in it, if I understand this correctly, that little blue air line that comes from the bottom turbo on the charge air side that goes up into that actuator behind the upper turbo- we found out the other day that if you pull that blue line off the bottom turbo and stick an air hose in it and pressurize it, it opens up, closes or does something to that actuator that it’s hooked up to on the other side, so if I’m understanding this correctly, if the upper turbo is what starts making your boost first and then when enough pressure builds in the bottom turbo, does that essentially make the exhaust just flow from the motor right through the upper turbo so that it all goes down to the bottom one which is what supposedly makes all your power?

If that was the case, what would happen if that actuator was “actuated” all the time?

I’m not sure if there’s anything wrong with my truck or not but it just seems like that even with the power turned up to 550, I have to downshift way more than I think I should and what I mean by that is, if I was loaded, running the speed limit, and then have to go up a little slight incline and if my RPMs is below 1500 and put the pedal to the floor, it’ll only boost up to about maybe 25 psi and not even sound like it’s trying to make power but if I downshift out of the big hole and press the pedal to the floor and get the RPM up around 16 or 17, then it’ll boost up to about 45.

Thoughts?

Anybody?

Well, yesterday I popped the e-clip off and disconnected the plunger rod off the little flapper stem that it connects to and tried it. It seemed like my take off power was a little better but that was about it. The EGT was a little hotter by a hundred degrees- normally it runs about 700-ish when pulling good but even under a hard pull with close to 2,000 rpm’s, it only boosted to about 35 psi. Wouldn’t go over that when normally she’d hit closer to 45 psi under a hard pull.

I guess I’ll just have to hope my boss some day let’s the shop guys do the single-turbo conversion.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread