Pennsylvania Idling Laws Now Being Enforced

Mike

Truckers stopping in the Keystone State may now find little warmth from state officials at Pennsylvania truck stops and rest areas.

Pennsylvania began enforcing its new idling limit on Friday, Feb. 6. The law restricts diesel idling to five minutes per hour for vehicles that weigh 10,000 pounds or greater. Motor homes and farm equipment are exempt from the restriction.

Gov. Ed Rendell signed the law into effect in October, with enforcement coming 120 days later.

The law exempts idling to operate defrosters, heaters, air conditioners or cargo refrigeration equipment, to regenerate DPF equipment or to install equipment “in order to prevent a safety or health emergency.”

Trucks loading or unloading may idle for up to 15 minutes in any contiguous 60-minute period.

A one-year temporary exemption for extreme cold and hot temperatures will allow drivers to idle while in the sleeper when temperatures are below 40 degrees or above 75 “during the rest or sleep period.” The exemption does not apply when trucks are parked at a location that offers “stationary idle reduction technology” during the beginning of the driver’s rest period. The extreme temperature exemption expires on May 1, 2010.
Full Story

You are getting one year to adjust for extreme weather conditions (below 40, or above 75). After that, plan on being prepared.

To read the state idling law’s full text, click here.

I'll give some credit where due. Common sense is at least being applied regarding the high and low temperature thresh-holds. Also, I noticed an exception regarding labeling by CARB if the motor meets emmission standards set forth by CARB...although I do see a cost issue here.

-ss-

I am not EVEN going to open my G.D mouth about this.....
YOu two Boyz... know how I feel about this and know where I stand....

10-4??

God @$&*%* !$&! *& *@* !&#~$#$^&*

$!#^!!&
$*
-O.T-

Common sense is at least being applied regarding the high and low temperature thresh-holds.

Just remember that this exception is only for 1 year, then you MUST have an alternative plan.

Also, this only applies to rest periods, so you still run the risk of going in to eat lunch, drinking a couple dozen cups of coffee, and coming back out to a couple fuel tanks full of Jello :)

Just remember that this exception is only for 1 year, then you MUST have an alternative plan.

Also, this only applies to rest periods, so you still run the risk of going in to eat lunch, drinking a couple dozen cups of coffee, and coming back out to a couple fuel tanks full of Jello :)

Kin I git fries withat?:D

What do they expect you to do in a year? Grow lots of hair and fatten up for winter?
Walk around in your skivvies in July?:bounce:

Just tell me with 6 billion people in the 21st century,somebody's got a better idea than this.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread