Pennsylvania Governor Signs Anti Idling Bill SB295 Into Law

yea but motor homes ok, go figure.........
lets talk about motor home's who also take up truck parking in rest area's, As if there's enough for trucks who are required by law to run with in d.o.t. limites.How many time have you been tired out of hours to pull into a rest area to find out of maybe 12 parking spots 5 are being taken by motor homes.
I'm in a bitch mood today...............................

OK, now.... Lets do something about this... SHALL WE?

PA - ANTI IDLE LAW - NEW Senate Bill 295 ( SEE BILL HERE ) Short Title: An Act providing for idling restrictions on diesel-powered motor vehicles; and imposing a penalty.
Why should You CARE? When a driver is LOADING or UNLOADING in Winter or Summer, He or She needs the comfort of either HEAT, or Cool AIR. Also, When SLEEPING. How would you like to be in the CAB of a truck at temperatures of ( - 3 ) or 100 + ? We have good REASON to fight this BILL.

Mr. BROWNE,
How would YOU like to work with out AC or HEAT in the WINTER?
180px-Shrek_donkey.jpg

Here's Ur SIGN!

Prime Sponsor: Senator BROWNE Last Action: Act No. 124 ADDRESS: Senate Box 203016
Harrisburg, PA 17120-3016
ROOM: 459 Capitol Building TELEPHONE: (717) 787-1349
D.O. ADDRESS: 801 Hamilton Street
Allentown, PA 18101
(610) 821-8468
INDIVIDUAL HOMEPAGE: Senator Pat Browne - Pennsylvania's 16th District DISTRICT NEWS: District Newsletters

What are you planning on accomplishing? It is too late to fight the bill, it is now a law.

You are trying to fight something that is being done for the environment, it is a no win situation.

Not to mention, in just over a year's time you have saved more money on fuel by using an APU than you would have spent installing one if you idle your truck while sleeping and/or sitting at docks.

Figure it over the course of just 3 years and you are profiting 10-15K more by installing the APU, just on fuel savings alone, not to mention the savings of wear and tear on an expensive engine.

I will never understand the resistance toward installing APU's. Huge fuel savings that more than pays for the unit, savings of wear and tear on the engine, and much quieter sleeping environment.

I do understand the irritation with being told you can't idle, but this isn't something that is going to go away. You have more people supporting this than fighting it, by a long shot.

What are you planning on accomplishing? It is too late to fight the bill, it is now a law.

You are trying to fight something that is being done for the environment, it is a no win situation.

Not to mention, in just over a year's time you have saved more money on fuel by using an APU than you would have spent installing one if you idle your truck while sleeping and/or sitting at docks.

Figure it over the course of just 3 years and you are profiting 10-15K more by installing the APU, just on fuel savings alone, not to mention the savings of wear and tear on an expensive engine.

I will never understand the resistance toward installing APU's. Huge fuel savings that more than pays for the unit, savings of wear and tear on the engine, and much quieter sleeping environment.

I do understand the irritation with being told you can't idle, but this isn't something that is going to go away. You have more people supporting this than fighting it, by a long shot.

Ok,
We'll START taking donations for the GUYS who *CANT* afford a APU anytime soon... 10-4?

This *LAW* needed ( PUBLIC ) Transportation votes...
See, this is the GD thing that ticks me off... WHY, shouldnt WE ALL have our say in these LAWS?

Alot like the 180 BILLION BAIL OUT!
Where was the American's VOTE on that TOO?

I aint no PUPPET... I hate stupid GOVERNING Authority...

And Bullwinkle?
THIS LAW is BULLSHIT... just for the record... lol.....
I know it's only my opinion... but It's NOT right...

-O.T

On the donations, APU manufacturers are financing these things, and there is also some sort of Government help in financing these things as well. Even with the extra finance charges, you are still making money by getting one.

Like I said, I know that people don't like laws like this, but people in the trucking industry need to face the facts that things are changing when it comes to the environment.

Manufacturing companies are forced to change their old ways as modern technology is developed, or else they are shut down. They don't have a choice, and neither will the trucking companies.

My main point here: Pick your battles wisely. I would bet that if a national idle law was brought up for vote, it would be passed. The majority is going to support something that cuts down on pollution in such a major way. As a matter of fact, look for something like this to actually happen sooner than later. Major trucking companies would most likely support it, and the general public would support it. The owner operators that tried to oppose it would be a very small portion of the total vote.

I'm like others. I don't like being told what I can and can't do, but there are some things that you are simply not going to win because you will be outnumbered no matter how you try to go about it.

The trucking industry has tons of other things that needs all drivers to stay aware of and active in regards to. Focus on the things you can change and fix.

(none of this is meant to be argumentative, just a point of view that I feel needs to be thought long and hard about :) )

On the donations, APU manufacturers are financing these things, and there is also some sort of Government help in financing these things as well. Even with the extra finance charges, you are still making money by getting one.

Like I said, I know that people don't like laws like this, but people in the trucking industry need to face the facts that things are changing when it comes to the environment.

Manufacturing companies are forced to change their old ways as modern technology is developed, or else they are shut down. They don't have a choice, and neither will the trucking companies.

My main point here: Pick your battles wisely. I would bet that if a national idle law was brought up for vote, it would be passed. The majority is going to support something that cuts down on pollution in such a major way. As a matter of fact, look for something like this to actually happen sooner than later. Major trucking companies would most likely support it, and the general public would support it. The owner operators that tried to oppose it would be a very small portion of the total vote.

I'm like others. I don't like being told what I can and can't do, but there are some things that you are simply not going to win because you will be outnumbered no matter how you try to go about it.

The trucking industry has tons of other things that needs all drivers to stay aware of and active in regards to. Focus on the things you can change and fix.

(none of this is meant to be argumentative, just a point of view that I feel needs to be thought long and hard about :) )

Very well said. Even if you successfully argued against a no idle law, you would be labeled a polluter out to destroy the planet, and, the facts would have little impact on the public's perception.

I work for a company that has not seen the light concerning APUs, thus, I am forced into a civil disobedience scenario while I stay cool, or warm, while resting. I personally enjoy the sound of a 500+ HP air conditioner. It helps me sleep when an auto-start reefer unit is parked next to me.

California environmental regulators said they are beginning to enforce the state’s five-minute idling limit for diesel-fueled commercial vehicles, including those with sleeper cabs.
Drivers seen idling for more than five minutes face a minimum fine of $300. Subsequent penalties can range from $1,000 to $10,000, according to an Oct. 9 statement from the California Air Resources Board.
“Turning these engines off should be second nature,” said CARB Chairwoman Mary Nichols. “It saves money, reduces pollution and protects the health of the driver and everyone working or living around the engines.”
Regulations that limit the idling of on-road commercial diesel-engine vehicles to five minutes have been in effect for several years, but trucks with sleepers have been covered only since January. In addition, violators who previously were issued only warning citations now face fines, said CARB spokesman Dimitri Stanich.
“The grace period is over now,” Stanich said.
In another action, CARB officials issued a draft regulation that would require oil companies and fuel providers to reduce the carbon intensity of transportation fuels sold in the state by at least 10% by 2020.
The requirement is designed to lower carbon emissions, expand the market for alternative fuels and stimulate improvements in transportation fuel technologies, officials said.
The state’s proposed low-carbon fuel standard, which includes both gasoline and diesel, was posted Oct. 10 on the CARB Web site to give stakeholders an opportunity to provide comments to CARB’s staff.
The new low-carbon fuel standard was commissioned in January 2007 by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger (R), who asked top university transportation-energy experts to design a blueprint for a standard that would reduce carbon emissions from fuels by 10% between now and 2020.
Studies show that in California, transportation fuels account for about 40% of all greenhouse-gas emissions. Diesel fuel accounts for about 17% of the state’s transportation energy.
The new low-carbon fuel standard is part of a state law known as AB 32, the Global Warming Solutions Act of 2006, and an administration-wide effort to address climate change and mitigate the most severe of the projected effects of global warming by reducing greenhouse-gas emissions statewide.
Later this year, CARB will consider further measures to reduce emissions, which include requiring heavy-duty trucks to follow the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s SmartWay program, beginning in 2011. Currently, the SmartWay program is voluntary.
In December, the board also is expected to vote on a proposed rule that would require fleets with four or more trucks to install diesel particulate filters on pre-1994 model-year trucks by the end of 2010.

Copied from Transport Topic's 10/22/2008

I camp out, idling, in MA, NJ, and, PA. All but NJ is on "private" property, and, NJ may be private because it's at the Petro in Bordentown. Hell, I park in the middle of the damn street in Philadelphia and idle for an hour, or so. LEOs could care less about this. It is off their radar. They are ignorant, I am blissed...

However, I wouldn't be so bold as to park in a state owned rest area and idle for very long. No sense tempting fate.

Also, I thought new diesel engines (Cummins, for sure) were now CARB approved for idling in all 50 states. As we update our equipment, we will become compliant.

Sorry but it's not private property. When they deal with the public it become public property.
We delt with this several years ago when the DOT come on to the property of a major truck stop in Washington state.
The court ruled if a company is dealing with the public it was not private but public property. Danny

Sorry but it's not private property. When they deal with the public it become public property.
We delt with this several years ago when the DOT come on to the property of a major truck stop in Washington state.
The court ruled if a company is dealing with the public it was not private but public property. Danny

This is the perfect example of our judicial branch legislating from the bench. Unless the entity owning the property is in the control of either local, state or federal agencies...it is owned, and controlled by a private entity...and therefore can not be construed as being public property.

Only through the business entity's permission is police access to business property allowed, and if y'all in Washington state is accepting your judicial branch to dictate, or legislate from the bench, what constitutes private and public property...well that's y'all's problem then.

Look's like Washington state's coming around to the government's way of thinking...without too much of a resistance.

-ss-

what about the police cars that sit and wait

what about the cops that wait for the trucker to see if they are speding they should have to follow the same rules that the truckers and other drivers have to follow in regards the idling issues
A new law in Pennsylvania is intended to reduce unnecessary idling of large trucks throughout the state. In most instances, drivers idling their trucks while sleeping or resting are exempt from the rule. It takes effect Feb. 9, 2009.

Idling rules already are in place in Allegheny County and the city of Philadelphia.

Gov. Ed Rendell signed into law a bill – SB295 – that imposes idling limits statewide. Diesel-powered vehicles weighing more than 10,000 pounds will be limited to idling for no more than five minutes per hour. Violators would face fines between $150 and $300.

Affected trucks will be exempted from the time limit rule when temperatures are lower than 40 degrees or higher than 75 degrees. The exception applies only at locations where trucks are legally permitted to park, including truck terminals, truck stops and rest areas – as long as idle reduction technology is unavailable.

While loading or unloading, idling is allowed for up to 15 minutes in a 60-minute period, when necessary.

The temperature exemption expires May 1, 2010. At that time, it is expected that idle reduction technology will be more widely available.

Source: Land Line

what about the cops that wait for the trucker to see if they are speding they should have to follow the same rules that the truckers and other drivers have to follow in regards the idling issues

I agree 100% with this.

Cops write tickets for the things that they constantly do, and it isn't right. Everyday I am passed by state troopers, sherriff department cars, and the local cop car, all speeding through a construction zone, and all headed to the same truck stop I am headed to. I am going there to start my work day, they are going there to all meet up and eat.

Nothing we can do about that though, unfortunately

I agree 100% with this.

Cops write tickets for the things that they constantly do, and it isn't right. Everyday I am passed by state troopers, sherriff department cars, and the local cop car, all speeding through a construction zone, and all headed to the same truck stop I am headed to. I am going there to start my work day, they are going there to all meet up and eat.

Nothing we can do about that though, unfortunately

Interesting how the ppl who enforce the laws always seem to be above the laws. :banghead:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread