• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

Passenger Train Crashes Through FedEx Truck in Shocking Video

I really would like to know how this will play out. On one hand the gate malfunctions, on the other well the train alway has right of way so....

At first glance, the knee-jerk reaction is to blame the truck driver. However:
the crossing gate arms were up at the time of the crash and the flashing lights and bells were not activated.

I didn't watch the video, only read the article.
the video clearly shows 2 fed ex crossing the tracks, one in each direction..absolutely NO gates came down, and no lights flashing, till a few seconds AFTER impact....

the gates come down, with the wreck on the tracks..clearly the railroad is at fault.

as much as we all know fedex is involved in crashes, this one, is not on him (or her).

the driver should have stooped and still looked both ways!!!
Just noticed the r/r service truck there. I wonder if they was waved through. The additional link you added said the accident happened less than a min later after gates when gates went back up and the r/r employees are administrative leave

In 1999 a Melco Transfer driver crossed a set of tracks in Bourbonnais, IL with a load of steel. Got hit by a train.

Train derailed, bunch of people killed, many more injured.

Investigation revealed that the gates and lights weren't activated until the the truck was on the tracks, a second before impact.

They still blamed it on the truck driver because three months prior to the crash, he misspelled the name of a town in his log book.

The way the rules are written the truck driver is at fault.

392.11 Railroad grade crossings; slowing down required.
Every commercial motor vehicle other than those listed in §392.10 shall, upon approaching a railroad grade crossing, be driven at a rate of speed which will permit said commercial motor vehicle to be stopped before reaching the nearest rail of such crossing and shall not be driven upon or over such crossing until due caution has been taken to ascertain that the course is clear.

He failed to make sure the way was clear.

Every commercial motor vehicle other than those listed in §392.10 shall, upon approaching a railroad grade crossing, be driven at a rate of speed which will permit said commercial motor vehicle to be stopped before reaching the nearest rail of such crossing and shall not be driven upon or over such crossing until due caution has been taken to ascertain that the course is clear.

well, i'd like to see the final outcome of this. we may not see or hear anything for a few weeks to months. by then, many of us would have forgotten this story.

Railroad grade crossing. Grade means incline. This one is flat as far as I could tell.

One could argue that due caution was taken. There's no requirement to stop dead unless it's HAZMAT or doesn't have arms or lights.

Railroad grade crossing. Grade means incline. This one is flat as far as I could tell.
Grade crossing means that the tracks cross the road on the same elevation as the road.

Meaning neither the tracks nor the road are on a bridge crossing over the other one.

Any place where you have to stop for the train to go by is a grade level crossing.

One could argue that due caution was taken. There's no requirement to stop dead unless it's HAZMAT or doesn't have arms or lights.

Correct on the complete stop, but you are required to slow to a rate that allows you to see if the way is clear. No one does it, but you are required to do so. Everyone just assumes the arms will notify them. Down in Florida there is a stretch of train tracks where they are moving so fast that the arms do not even start downward until the train is already there. They are high balling containers. Those of us that drove that stretch knew to keep out window down to hear that bullet coming.

@Duckalready covered what grade means for this conversation.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread