New To Trucking Paraplegic wanting to drive

AWill

I've wanted to be a truck driver since I was a kid watching BJ and the Bear. I got paralyzed at age 16 in a motorcycle accident and never knew paraplegics we're driving trucks. Among a view videos I saw there was a guy with a wheelchair lift on his truck that raised him up into the side of the sleeper and that open my eyes to the possibility of OTR trucking. I've worked phone jobs and in retail and it's not what I want to do. Now I'm 48, divorced, two grown kids and a granddaughter. I'm ready to hit the road and full fill a lifelong dream.

Last edited:
I sent you a PM.

that’s for junkyarddog.

he actually has one arm. So he’s the guy to talk to.

most likely, a company that has an automatic fleet would be your best bet.

you would have to contact CDL schools in you area for training, and any special requirements.

i too had seen a wheel chaired driver but only once and he had some sort of loading ramp system, but i think he owned his truck. as it certainly did not look like any ordinary company one.
They might have accomodated him for Tax Credits.

If he was also a Veteran and Disabled that alone probably paid the special truck off in afew years.

Another advantage for the Company is that if they can do the job someone in that situation is often HAPPY just to Get The Job and will most likely to settle in long term and stay put as opposed to bouncing from job to job like many in this Industry tend to do "myself included"

Last edited:
I would think opening the hood, topping up fluids, cleaning mirrors and windows, would be the hardest part from a chair. Just adding washer fluid presents a challenge. But I sincerely wish you all the best.

I would think opening the hood, topping up fluids, cleaning mirrors and windows, would be the hardest part from a chair. Just adding washer fluid presents a challenge. But I sincerely wish you all the best.

Those are definitely some challenges I wasn't even thinking about. Not impossible, but definitely challenges I didn't consider. I was focused on the driving part and entering and exiting the cab.

@AWill

Just curious, have you made any progress in this venture? It would be great if you could take notes of the steps you had to take to get through this process and possibly put together an article here that might help others. Or, we could work together on it if you wanted once you successfully accomplished this.

I sent you a PM.

that’s for junkyarddog.

he actually has one arm. So he’s the guy to talk to.
Sorry to bother you but I was looking for the pm you sent me with contact information for junkyarddog, the driver with one arm. I can't find it and was hoping that you would give it to me again, please. I have already spoken to three different companies and I keep getting the runaround so I figured I'll ask you again.
Thank you.
-AWILL

First thing you need to work through is getting an SPE for your DOT physical.

@Junkyarddog is the most experienced here on that aspect since he gets them himself.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread