Oversized

Hemigirl25

Ok I pull a set of Michigan B trains. But I know all the rules the same for all flatbed trailers no matter the type. Well I think so anyways. My question is: In Michigan when is something considered oversized? For example here in ontario if anything is over the rub rail that is considered an oversize no matter what it is.

Ok I pull a set of Michigan B trains. But I know all the rules the same for all flatbed trailers no matter the type. Well I think so anyways. My question is: In Michigan when is something considered oversized? For example here in ontario if anything is over the rub rail that is considered an oversize no matter what it is.

From the Michigan Commercial Vehicle Guidebook:

MVC 257.717
* The total width of a trailer, semi-trailer, bus or
motor home shall not exceed 102 inches.
* The total outside width of all other vehicles
shall not exceed 96 inches, except on designated
highways where 102 inches is allowed.
* The total outside width of the load of a vehicle
hauling concrete pipe, agricultural products or
unprocessed logs, pulpwood

So if the load is wider than the rub rail on a trailer that is 102 inches wide, it is considered oversized.

i pull oversize all over ther u.s. everything over 8ft6in is oversize. check with each state as to height and weight requirements too.

i pull oversize all over ther u.s. everything over 8ft6in is oversize. check with each state as to height and weight requirements too.

I pretty much figured that was so, but you know how every state has to have their own set of rules and regulations.

I hauled an oversize from Portland, OR to Thetford Mines, QC a year ago last July. I was just under 100 feet long, legal height, legal width, legal weight.

When I got to the Iowa/Illinois border, I had to stop and pull all my flags and banners because being under 100 feet I was not considered overlength in Illinois. And when I got to the Illinois/Indiana border I had to stop and put everything back on.

Then I had to stop at the Pennsylvania/New York border and meet up with a pilot car because New York required a pilot car.

Oh, and in some states I could run 24/7, and others there was the sunrise/sunset curfews. And the sunrise/sunset curfews are not standard either. Some are 1/2 hour before and after sunrise/sunset, some are 1/2 hour after sunrise/sunset, some are at sunrise/sunset.

Stupid.

It is ridiculous how each state has a slightly different set of rules. The rules should be universal, everywhere, so there is no confusion, and everyone will get their cut and drivers can get the loads delivered without confusion and delay.

very true Racer. The laws need to be nation wide. But the easiest way to tell what each state requires is get a oversize book from any major truck stop. But beware what that book says is just a guide line. If indoubt call the DOT

Ok thank you very much for the info. It's the same here anything over 102 we are considered oversized.

You're welcome!

I have seen drivers move stuff that hangs off the side a few inches and get away with it, and seen others get busted by nit picky Revenue Rangers for a one inch overhang.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread