One of the stupidest articles I've ever had the displeasure of reading...

Getfit Tommy

Highway Hero
Hours reform, importance of manned vehicles highlight FMCSA session on autonomous trucks

More than one commenter emphasized the need for a human to remain in control of the vehicle. Trucker Bryan Spoon, a board member of the Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association, illustrated such with an extreme example of the kinds of safety decisions operators make on the road, invoking a hypothetical near-crash where the choices are to “hit this brick wall” and destroy the truck or “deviate and hit kids in a crosswalk,” Spoon said. “What choice does our automated vehicle make?” Destroy itself or “a group of schoolchildren in a crosswalk?”

“hours is a very contentious place” for regulators to go, and one where owner-operators experience many of their biggest business headaches.

In a highly-automated situation, that might even make for an opportunity to get into the bunk for sleeper-line time.

NOW HERE'S A GOOD QUESTION!: “if the driver has to be in the truck and has to have some control over it, how many hours in a row can you pay attention doing nothing”

"My biggest concern is how do we keep them occupied, busy and awake.”

A ****o mag and a bag of Meth? What... a Rubex cube and an X-box?

… You probably won’t find a distinct long-term plan to deal with hours.”

Really? But you WILL with those of us who are NOT robots, right?

FMCSA “does not require a special [CDL] endorsement for autonomous operation”

Really? What do they require? A medical marijuana card?

“What does the citizen do when a retread comes off an breaks a windshield?"

I can think of a lot more important questions than that without even putting my brain to work.

As law enforcement, how do we intervene and stop the vehicle?

This was all I could stomach. If someone else wants to read it, have at it.

That video of the truck dragging a car up a hill, ... how's a drone truck supposed to know it's dragging a car?

No there was an idiot sitting behind the wheel, but he was not driving nor operating his equipment. One of the vast zombies on the highways. Four wheelers are not exclusive to them.

Yes, but that driver was (supposed to be) in complete control of the truck.

Autonomous vehicles are a different proposition.

NOW HERE'S A GOOD QUESTION!: “if the driver has to be in the truck and has to have some control over it, how many hours in a row can you pay attention doing nothing”

"My biggest concern is how do we keep them occupied, busy and awake.”

If you aren't engaged and responsible for every aspect of maintaining distance, speed, etc you simply aren't going to be responsive enough when you have to assume control.

It's the same reason that older drivers have less accidents and incidents than younger drivers even though a younger driver has faster reflexes. A 20 year-old inexperienced driver is able to react up to a half-second faster than a 40 year-old experienced driver...
but an experienced driver of (almost) any age will anticipate the need to react before reacting becomes an issue.

Very ominous situation. This move to automation is causing panic in some and not enough caring in others. There's some pretty outrageous stuff being said by intelligent people, as Getfit Tommy has pointed out. All that shows is a lack of understanding about where things are, what is achievable and where things are going. The manufacturers are operating in an undefined environment. The legislators don't know what is achievable. The users are scared for their livelihoods, and the carriers are wanting to make money. That's all it is. Somewhere in the middle of all that muddle is what this will look like, and I'll wager it won't be the extreme of any one of those positions. The George Jetson world is 100 to 150 years out, and probably longer than that. However long you think it's going to take to get to the world looking like the idea you have in your head about the future, you can multiply that by 3 to 5... or maybe even more for some of you.

That video of the truck dragging a car up a hill, ... how's a drone truck supposed to know it's dragging a car?
The drone who was dragging that car had no idea until another motorist called his attention to it. Hopefully, his license is stripped.

But your point is valid. An automated drone wouldn't have had any better of a clue than the you-tubing pud yanker behind that particular steering wheel.

I am not sure how the mirrors are only for backing up trucker hooked that car. I would imagine I would have dragged buddy for a bit, If it was buddies fault. Not as long as the mirrors are only for backing up guy.:)

I thought they were for when I stand on my battery box and check my eye liner and lipstick......

Geez. Love this place. Learn something new every day.

I thought they were for when I stand on my battery box and check my eye liner and lipstick......

Geez. Love this place. Learn something new every day.
So, the truth comes out. You're this guy:

704a7a2208c6c8ac9af99305e13c1723.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread