Old Ford Semi Tractors


Kinda interferes with the maneuverability if you can't turn the wheel at a dead stop.

I don't know about the C-series Fords because I only drove one around the terminal once, but with the full size trucks with actual truck engines you'd probably break the steering wheel if you could put enough torque into it to turn it at a dead stop.

I only drove them in line haul. Only had to dock a trailer with one once, and I left it kinda crooked.
 
Kinda interferes with the maneuverability if you can't turn the wheel at a dead stop.

I don't know about the C-series Fords because I only drove one around the terminal once, but with the full size trucks with actual truck engines you'd probably break the steering wheel if you could put enough torque into it to turn it at a dead stop.

I only drove them in line haul. Only had to dock a trailer with one once, and I left it kinda crooked.
My 72 White 4000 had no power steering.

At a stop you'd be standing in the seat to turn the wheel. At .000004 mph was even a world of help.

Wish I had pictures of that pile.
 
This talk of no power steering is funny because my truck can be taken through a turn with a pinky finger, it steers so easy.
Blueford is like that and I hate it. There's no feedback. It's too "Cadillac" for a truck. I'd be happier if it didn't have power steering at all.
 
Sterling bought out Ford's heavy truck line and simply re-badged them at first, then ordered the engineers to cut out anything even remotely resembling quality.
Freightliner bought our Ford and called them Sterling, the original Sterling was shut down years before. After they bought them they started to use Freightliner parts I would assume to cut costs. I know our Sterling boom truck and our Freightliner dozer trucks have the same dash section where the speedometer and tach are. Our Ford Louisville is different
 
I had one of the Sterling Silverstars, 1999 year model, I believe.
. Everything was still Ford part numbers on that, except for the interior sleeper panels. Those were definitely cheap freightliner crap. But it was still the Ford dash and switchgear.

It was the best sounding truck. The mufflers were under the cab, with dual straights from there up the back of the sleeper. Under power or on the Jake, it just had the nicest burble without being annoying.
 
Freightliner bought our Ford and called them Sterling, the original Sterling was shut down years before. After they bought them they started to use Freightliner parts I would assume to cut costs. I know our Sterling boom truck and our Freightliner dozer trucks have the same dash section where the speedometer and tach are. Our Ford Louisville is different
Freightliner also screwed up Western Star.

I don't know anyone who drives enough Sprinter vans to know if they changed when the product line changed hands. I think they were originally Dodge, then Mercedes, then Freightliner. :dunno:

All I know is my plumber neighbor guy down the road says his Freightliner Sprinter gets 21 mpg local with a 4 cylinder diesel. He never had an older one to compare it to but his previous van was a Ford with a 460 gasser that he said got 9 mpg.
 
Freightliner also screwed up Western Star.

I don't know anyone who drives enough Sprinter vans to know if they changed when the product line changed hands. I think they were originally Dodge, then Mercedes, then Freightliner. :dunno:

All I know is my plumber neighbor guy down the road says his Freightliner Sprinter gets 21 mpg local with a 4 cylinder diesel. He never had an older one to compare it to but his previous van was a Ford with a 460 gasser that he said got 9 mpg.
They were simultaneously Dodge, Mercedes, and Freightliner. Lol
 

Back
Top