NTSB: Truck in fatal I-65 crash that killed 11 lacked recorder

Mike

Federal investigators say there was no electronic recorder on board the truck that crossed the median on Interstate 65 near Munfordville, Ky., March 26 and killed its driver and 10 other people in a van.

Peter Knudson, a spokesman for the National Transportation Safety Board, also said Friday that the hand-written log maintained by the truck’s driver, Kenneth Laymon of Fayette, Ala., was destroyed in a fire triggered by the crash.

Investigators use those two items to determine how long a driver had been on the road and whether any hours-of-service rules were violated.

Electronic on-board recorders are not required, although some trucking lines use them voluntarily, Knudson said.

Read More

they can still find out where he was by contacting the company and see where/when he was at shipper/reciever and don't these companies have some kind of data recorder at them that shows where these drivers are at all times.

Depends on who they work for, I don't have anything in my truck either, not counting my cell phone,, I do cross a border or the toll road every couple of hours though, so would not be to hard to track my movements if they really want to,, by the way NYS D.O.T. has started their annual fund raiser they call safety week just a few weeks early

The article says that the driver had been on a cell phone and was possibly speeding just before the accident.

I saw a trucker driving East on I 64 in Kentucky today weaving, speeding up and slowing down. After I managed to get by him I saw that he was TEXTING! I hollered at him on the radio, but I don't think he had his on, as I didn't get a response and he continued with his weaving and speeding up and slowing down.

The nerve of some people. What makes these idiots think it is OK to endanger the lives of everyone else on the road?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread