Newbie here looking for help for friend who wants to get his own truck and work for himself

southernpeach

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to get some honest info on what the best way to get started as an owner operator business for my friend. He has been working for a delivery company and unloads cases all day as well as drives..he does well but hes at a point where its too taxing on his body and is looking to possibly buy his own truck and start working for himself. I have went out and talked to a used truck place and tried to get some info, and he suggested Landstar but Landstar as Ive seen on pages seems to have negative reviews. What he is most concerned about is not doing long distance loads to start, perhaps local or New England only, starting out small. He has had his CDL for at least 8 years I believe and is reliable and a good driver. If anyone can help me out Id appreciate any advice so I can help him get the info he needs to have more flexibility and less packing and loading and unloading.

Thanks guys.

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to get some honest info on what the best way to get started as an owner operator business for my friend. He has been working for a delivery company and unloads cases all day as well as drives..he does well but hes at a point where its too taxing on his body and is looking to possibly buy his own truck and start working for himself. I have went out and talked to a used truck place and tried to get some info, and he suggested Landstar but Landstar as Ive seen on pages seems to have negative reviews. What he is most concerned about is not doing long distance loads to start, perhaps local or New England only, starting out small. He has had his CDL for at least 8 years I believe and is reliable and a good driver. If anyone can help me out Id appreciate any advice so I can help him get the info he needs to have more flexibility and less packing and loading and unloading.

Thanks guys.
best to try and see if some of the companies have short hauls or regional work.

There are all kinds of LTL companies in New England. NEMF, New England Motor Freight comes to mind but there are many others. @gearjammer idea of dump truck is a good one. They make good money and home everyday.
Maybe try UPS. He does not have to go out and buy a truck to make decent money.

If he does buy a truck there are a ton of can hauling outfits, But can hauling is a feast or famine type of deal.

he makes good money, just doesn't want to load and unload....what is at LTL company?
LTL= Less Than Load. there are companies that pick skid here and there and then they will cross dock it and send it on the same companies linehaul to be cross docked again or they will source another company to deliver it for them.

But your buddy would be doing deliver a skid here and there, empty out and start picking skids here and there, back to the yard and go home at night.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread