• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

New Walmart Kiosk: Put old phone in slot for Instant cash!!

quillcom

Anybody try this yet.

Just saw a little line today and wondered what was going on.

So apparently you can feed your old smart phones into this kiosk
and out comes cash.

Got about 3-4 phones laying around so I was wondering is it
worth a try.

I'm investigating now.

I would take all of the guts out of the phone before putting it in any bin. Everything that you ever did with that phone is stored within it. So, basically, they want all of your info for a Jackson if that much. No thank you.

I use the old ones as storage devices for pictures and one with a hell of a lot of music on it.

I use the old ones as storage devices for pictures and one with a hell of a lot of music on it.
I hear you. I also have a spare phone for apps and e-books etc. But still have others as paper
weights.

From what I understand, if you remove the sim and do a reset, and go into recovery mode and do a wipe you should be good to go.

But yeah, I will do a double check before plopping mine in.

Ohh and dont forget to remove the sd-card

Last edited:
Uh how do they determine the value?

What if it screws up and doesn't recognize the type of device or the fact that you even dropped one in?

No thanks I'd rather toss mine in a drawer and forget about it.

They have one of those at my local Walmart.

It seems like a good way to encourage theft. There's probably scumbags walking around the parking lot looking into cars for phones to steal.

I hear you. I also have a spare phone for apps and e-books etc. But still have others as paper
weights.

From what I understand, if you remove the sim and do a reset you should be good to go.
But yeah, I will do a double check before plopping mine in.

Ohh and dont forget to remove the sd-card
That isn't enough. I have a good friend who is a tech guy for Samsung. He said it takes several different methods to get one cleared. The Geek Squad at Best Buy has the ability but are probably too lazy too. I had to return one of the phones that were starting fires and he personally wiped it out for me. He recommends never letting an old phone go to anyone other than the cell phone provider themselves. They actually clear them and refurbish them. You should yourself remove the cards and do a hard reset.

I read Once that even photocopy machines store images.

You know like when that shipper wanted to make a copy of your license that time?

And often, old copy machines go overseas after they’re replaced here in the first world.

I read Once that even photocopy machines store images.

You know like when that shipper wanted to make a copy of your license that time?

And often, old copy machines go overseas after they’re replaced here in the first world.
Yop.

They've got a hard drive in them that saves cache.

Company I worked for used to have it removed and a new one installed before it left the building.

They found out some of the competitors were in the market for our old machines.

Computers were never let off the property.

We'd destroy them on site and shred them.

For a while, we tried reclaiming the gold from the plating process. That wasn't too bad a gig. Just not enough to justify the cost.

I have a good friend who is a tech guy for Samsung. He said it takes several different methods
Curiosity got the best of me so I had to look it up.

Seems the one step that will insure no files can be recovered is to go into security settings
and encrypt the phone then do a factory reset.

Think I will give this a try then head on over to Walmart.

Curiosity got the best of me so I had to look it up.

Seems the one step that will insure no files can be recovered is to go into security settings
and encrypt the phone then do a factory reset.

Think I will give this a try then head on over to Walmart.
I'm not a tech guy so I don't know. I am very cautious because we put so much information on these devices. I have a couple at home that have no value in America but are worth about $100 in the Caribbean. I might get them wiped and take them and trade with some locals on my next vacation.

I live in TN. I do go on vacation in the Caribbean to scuba dive. We meet locals when we go. I noticed several have Samsung Galaxy S4. They love them and said they cost about $150. I can give them as a weeks worth of tips or as payment for them being our personal driver and tour guide for a day on the island. I just can't arrange it through the resorts because they want their cut of the money.

I would take all of the guts out of the phone before putting it in any bin. Everything that you ever did with that phone is stored within it. So, basically, they want all of your info for a Jackson if that much. No thank you.

you have to connect it so they can communicate with the device so that won't work sorry ;). plus they also want your DL with a thumb print:p oh yea and you have to turn off the gps tracking to so you can't find it after they come get it. and make sure it's paid off or they won't get the special serial number embedded into the phone to make sure it's clear

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread