My "plan"...how do I get started?

TheTransporter

Hello everyone, my name is Marshall Horton.

I would like some information from people who have done this sort of thing.

I'm wanting to get into hauling cars, cross country. I was originally thinking of a 1 ton truck, with a 4 car wedge. But my dad (he's been a truck driver for a very long time) says that an actual semi car hauler, while more expensive to license/insure. would be easier to make money with due to being able to carry up to 7-8 cars, and having a place to sleep while on the road.

Hauling cars is what I really want to do. However I understand I will have to probably do something else untill I get the experience that companies/brokers look for.

So, that is my situation, now for a few questions.

1st) Right now I'm 18, and everywhere I've seen that runs otr requires otr experience....so I'm not sure how to get that experience. Do you think joining the National Guard as a truck driver would be a good idea? or is there something else I can do?

2nd) What're you thoughts on the 1ton vs semi set up, just for getting started.

3rd) If I went with a 1 ton truck, would I need the same CDL that my dad has (and probably most of you)

These are my major questions (mainly the first one)

I'll post more later, Thanks for any help.
Marshall H.

Hi Marshall.I hate to burst your bubble but you're too young.You have to be at least 21.Hauling cars does pay well.I used to haul exotic cars.But they all require exp.You joinging the national guard to drive trk,companies don't consider that trk driving exp.Why dont u wait a few yrs.

That's what my dad just told me. Is there anything "truck" related I could do untill I get to be 21-23? Box truck, dump truck...stuff like that, to get used to driving a big(er) rig before switching to otr?

You can drive intrastate with a cdl at 18yrs old. You could possibly find a dump truck or trash truck or something like that to maybe get a start until you turn 21. I have a cousin who got a job driving a straight truck delivering building supplies at 19yrs old. It's possible, you just have to look for it. With no experience you might have to "know someone" to get in. It's more of an insurance requirement than anything!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread