My PACCAR thread now leads to this. Who's DEF system is most reliable?

the_original_beantown

The other Shane
I've been told that Detroit seems to have had it figured out better than most. Any one have a comment on this? I do know we had tons of issues on the ISX cement mixers due to the dead head number six injector. Cummins fixed it, kind of, not really, more like a band aid.

I'm learning with my Volvo, there's systems that feed the aftertreatment system. Those tend to be neglected. As a result, downstream failure occurs.

It also doesn't help having a truck spec'd in a way that requires it to run like an old mechanical engine and have the rpm's Frank's up past 1500 rpm.

Its not just the DEF system, Its the whole engine/after treatment package.
The X15's have been doing great, very few problems and no major repairs at our shop to date. Have some up at 1,000,000km.
2017 and up Paccars have had a few more bumps in the road but otherwise doing good. Both have the new single canister Cummins aftertreatment system, miles ahead of the older 2 can system.

The one that's ****ing maintained.

Learning they all have pretty much the same components.

And learning that people are still morons and reluctant or incapable of doing scheduled PREVENTATIVE maintenance.

According to the freightliner dealer. Cummins has a longer warranty for the after treatment than Detroit. He said he feels Detroit will be following suit before long.

I had a factory after treatment warranty until 500K/ 5 years on one Volvo. Not sure how that compares to the rest.

supposed to be able to get it to 650K but I haven’t followed up on that.

You don't want to even think about replacing a Detroit One Box.

Other than that, they're reliable and work well.

On the 2016 ISX I used to drive I had the whole aftertreatment shitarooskie replaced at Cummins in Regina, SK and again on the side of the road in a turnout coming down the Bighorn mountains west of Buffalo, WY. Full warranty both times but it cost me three days downtime both times.
This new 605 hp Cummins in a Asscadia has been flawless in 90,000 miles so far.

I've been told that Detroit seems to have had it figured out better than most. Any one have a comment on this? I do know we had tons of issues on the ISX cement mixers due to the dead head number six injector. Cummins fixed it, kind of, not really, more like a band aid.
What year ...

Back 2014/2015 drove a Volvo about Model Year had no DEF Problems..

Got "Canned" and gotta another Worked in a "Wharehouse" Forklift "Certificate and $15 an Hour plus "Over-Time"..

From my "Past" they knew I was a Class A CDL "holder"..

1st was "Threat" of a LAYOFF said "BYE" I'm Filing "Unemployment"...

Next was a KW 680 and no "Unemployment" if they "Re-Assign" another Job..

Gosh bouncing around in that KW 680 got "Rug-Burn" on my @$$ like ya wouldn't believe ya that seat was that "Uncomfortable" ..

Plus the Mirriors hung low on a tight back hadda stick my head out the window on a "Sight-Side"..

Oh the Radiator was afew drops low a Caution Light and KW wouldn't Start...

And most fools would be like COOL cause they got a KENWORTH

If ya just hadda "ASK" the Question..

My 2/3 "Rehires" at the original Border-Team Transport..

Never "once" did I have a DPF nor Def issue on a VNL780.

Got back home hit Birchwood Foods was like almost EVER "other" Week on a Kenworth Model 680

I'm learning with my Volvo, there's systems that feed the aftertreatment system. Those tend to be neglected. As a result, downstream failure occurs.

It also doesn't help having a truck spec'd in a way that requires it to run like an old mechanical engine and have the rpm's Frank's up past 1500 rpm.
Cascadias seem to have doser valves crust up a lot. They used to replace them until they discovered they could just run hot water over the ports to free up the crystalized def.

By "a lot" I just mean in the local fleet here. I would see the mechanics out there with a cup of hot water more than once. Asked them what they were doing and they showed me. I dunno as a whole if it's a major issue.

Cascadias seem to have doser valves crust up a lot. They used to replace them until they discovered they could just run hot water over the ports to free up the crystalized def.

By "a lot" I just mean in the local fleet here. I would see the mechanics out there with a cup of hot water more than once. Asked them what they were doing and they showed me. I dunno as a whole if it's a major issue.
I've seen that at my own carrier..

We "Casdia" and OVER THE ROAD

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread