Moving from UK to US, and have some questions about driver's permit

Andrew Wales

So i used to live in the UK for 5 years, and i worked as a trucker. My main responsibilities were to deliver the goods from the producer in Scotland, through England to the Northern Ireland. Now, i want to move to the United States to work as a trucker in the state of Alabama, so do i need to get a driver's license in the US or i can use my european driver's license as i done throughout the European Union?

State of Alabama Law Enforcement Agency

CDL or CDL Learner License Applicants
  • Current driver license.
  • Social Security card.*
  • If transferring from out of state, applicant must present one document from the “primary” list (in addition to the Social Security number document).
  • Current Department of Transportation long medical form (unless medically exempt).
  • $25 testing fee (no checks).
  • Transportation Security Administration background check if transferring or obtaining a hazardous materials endorsement.
  • If not a U.S. citizen, applicant must legally be in permanent status in the United
    States and domiciled in Alabama.
  • Skills test if upgrading a license or first-time applicant (test by appointment only; $20 skills test fee).
  • Proof of insurance.
  • $66.25 to purchase class “A” license.
  • $56.25 to purchase class “B” license.
  • $36.25 to purchase class “C” license.
  • $36.25 to purchase commercial learner license.

Additional Secondary Documents for Non-U.S. Citizens
  • Employment authorization document with valid Social Security card.
  • Valid visa (with supporting documents) authorizing presence in the United States for a period exceeding 160 days.
  • Valid I-94 arrival/departure record issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
  • Original I-797 (notice of action) issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, showing approval of change of status or extension of stay.
  • Original I-797 (notice of action) issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, evidencing timely filing of an extension petition.

No, you can't use your european driver's license because it works only in the European Union. If you're not from North America, so first of all you must go on truck driver's education courses http://www.education4drivers.com/ and after that, you can try yourself in special practice test (that is free). If you'll pass this test, so you can be sure that you will pass a real examination. And then you can apply for your driver's license.

I've looked at getting a EU license and going overseas to drive. There's certain countries that are more "acceptable" to work with on reciprocity. I forget the list. Been a while since I looked at them.

I've been looking at the US state department looking for reciprocity info and all I find for it is a state department diplomatic license.

When I moved down here I'd had my "Class A with hazmat" for over 30 years. What I had to do was first go get a Louisiana regular car licence, then go do the written for CDL permit, then go do a written and driving test at the local CL mill. That was fun because when doing the "walkaround" I found a crack in the frame of the trailer they were using that they didn't know about and informed them this trailer is unfit for the road. Hmmmmm.... quickly switching trailers they had me do maneuvers around the yard and once around the block. Off and running ever since.

Be warned that your employment record in Europe means absoloutely zero here. You will start at the bottom of the pay scale and be there for about a year.

With that information, I wonder if the purpose for the original question post was to set up for spam..
yep

I was going to spam ban them, but got busy. The software caught them, but I went back in and approved the accounts to see how they would try to play this off.

yep

I was going to spam ban them, but got busy. The software caught them, but I went back in and approved the accounts to see how they would try to play this off.
O3DHIA5.gif

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread