Looking for a change of career....Am I on the right track?

unleashd

Hello all!
I was born and raised in India. Studied engineering and started a technology career ~30 years back. Moved to the USA in '97 when many like minded software engineers immigrated for the Y2K prep. Well, that was a while back, but FF 23 years and now at a point in life where I just am not feeling the thrill of doing the technology work. So, Sunday morning thoughts lead me to start looking at starting a new career in a field that I've wanted to explore. A brief history to my automotive liking and experience is that I have experienced the home mechanic life all my life, initially with gas and diesel cars in India working at my uncle's garage in the weekends and holidays, later DIY work on my cars, vans, and lately my Ford 7.3 PSTD Excursions for the past few years. I love to drive and travel bu road whenever I get the chance. So, I have just recently started to do my research into this career. The big drivers for me are
1. I work for myself
2. I get to see various parts of this country, and
3. I get paid for 1 & 2 above

At age 50, I do still have a couple of life commitments to complete - few more years of mortgage payments, a couple more years of helping the kids to be completely on their own etc. Wife is also a techy and we both hold good jobs.

So, I was thinking of maybe putting my Ford Excursion to work initially and run some LTL loads around my state of VA to get started and to get a taste of what this is like before getting too deep into this. What are your thoughts and advice?

What are your ideas for using Ford Excursion? I don't think I've ever seen on pulling freight. Mainly I see them moving mildly obese teenagers around...

I was suggesting using the Excursion as I have that at my disposal right away. What would be an ideal truck to start with? Like a F-350/Ram 2500/3500? SRW/DRW?

Do you always have to be so technical? I've been pulling mobile homes with my 86 ford bronco for awhile. I've been leased to Star Fleet and now Bennett Transport. Yes "technically " it's not considered hauling "freight ", but with the right tri axle bumper pull trailer, he could haul freight. Pull have to beef up the rear springs, but that basically all I did.
View attachment 57568
Man Snowman you’ve come a long way from where you started. I remember when you were running this rig delivering FEMA trailers.
F85BBC67-AFD3-433A-8149-3412F19B1953.jpeg

Do you always have to be so technical? I've been pulling mobile homes with my 86 ford bronco for awhile. I've been leased to Star Fleet and now Bennett Transport. Yes "technically " it's not considered hauling "freight ", but with the right tri axle bumper pull trailer, he could haul freight. Will probably have to beef up the rear springs, but that basically all I did.
View attachment 57568
U musta upgraded to the Bronco after this Chevby wasn't doing the job??

Wel that's interesting. How do you have air to work the trailer brakes?
That side box under the bed has a hitachi 3 gallon air compressor in it. It has two hoses plumbed one has air all the time to release the park brakes. I wired a normally closed switch to the brake lights on the blue line. So when they are activated it sends air to the trailer. Presto change-o. I run a top shelf operation.

Thanks for the giggles!! Y'all are funny.

But, the Excursion is pretty capable in its towing capabilities in its stock form as well.
No.

Just no.

All you're going to do is lose money and destroy your vehicle in the process. Probably get into legal trouble too.

If you want to get into trucking, get a CDL license and go to work for Swift or Schneider for a year. From that point you'll know enough about the industry to be able to choose your own direction.

No.

Just no.

All you're going to do is lose money and destroy your vehicle in the process. Probably get into legal trouble too.

If you want to get into trucking, get a CDL license and go to work for Swift or Schneider for a year. From that point you'll know enough about the industry to be able to choose your own direction.

I agree with not taking his vehicle and starting out.

There is no reason to start out with bottom feeders like Swift or Schneider to start a trucking career. Lazy people do that.

There is no reason to start out with bottom feeders like Swift or Schneider to start a trucking career. Lazy people do that.
The guy's on trucking forum talking about hauling freight in an excursion... where exactly would you steer him to? 😂

Points noted. Thanks for the advise about to not use my personal daily driver. Let me work to get a CDL then. Is it necessary to go to CDL school with a transport company? Other than the high cost of going to CDL school on my own, what are the drawbacks?

Points noted. Thanks for the advise about to not use my personal daily driver. Let me work to get a CDL then. Is it necessary to go to CDL school with a transport company? Other than the high cost of going to CDL school on my own, what are the drawbacks?
Getting it on your own from a decent school is the best way to go but not everyone can just put down 4-5k like that.

Some of the bigger fleets operate their own schools and they will teach you and get you your CDL in exchange for indentured servitude. Basically you sign a contract agreeing to drive for them for a certain length of time. Usually a year. If you quit or get fired before then, you'll owe them part of the tuition cost.

Avoid CR England. And don't let anyone con you into leasing a truck either. At least not til you've learned the industry. Just start out driving a company truck.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread