Owner Operator Logistics Posts Vs. E-Tracks

Mike

Logistics Posts Vs. E-Tracks

So, I've been in the middle of pricing out a new trailer build, and got shot down on a load this evening that has me rethinking things a little.

the load was going to be concert equipment being picked up in Chicago and taken out to California.

I've done a couple of the trade show type loads, but this time they were dead set on having E-Tracks in the trailer. Logistics posts ended the conversation.

In the past, I have had to send pictures of what I have to get approval to run a load when customers wanted e-tracks.

Most often, it would turn out that they simply wanted the load strapped in, and didn't know the difference in the terminology. A few, however, have turned me down due to the setup I have.

That said, E-tracks are an ender for some loads as well. Aluminum cans come to mind, or any load where the shipper is concerned about the E-Tracks sticking out and snagging the load. They eliminate the ability to provide smooth walls when requested.

I feel like the only loads I would lose having E-Tracks would be loads that don't tend to pay the best anyway. Customers wanting better securement is where the money is at, which was why I was leaning toward the logistics posts being far closer together on the next trailer.

Thought maybe this would be a good discussion on which direction to go with a dry van. Might help me and others in future trailer purchases. One thing I do know, I will never buy another trailer with the logistics posts as far apart as what I have now.

My plan was having logistics posts every 12 inches on the next trailer, because the current 48 inch setup I have makes it almost impossible to properly secure some loads.

Oh gotcha. Same strap type just a different way of mounting them in the trailer?
yep

Logistics posts allow for smooth walls, which some shippers will require. Aluminum cans come to mind because they are exposed and up against the wall of the trailer. E-Tracks aren't flush like the logistics posts and would dent the cans.

E-Tracks tend to be preferred by shippers who are move concerned about load securement. Concert stage equipment is often loaded on things that roll, which required a little different strapping options.

Actually considering adding the E-Tracks to my current trailer because I have only hauled loads where the trailer wouldn't have been allowed once or twice that I can think of, but I have lost out on multiple loads due to not having actual e-tracks.

where the shipper is concerned about the E-Tracks sticking out and snagging the load.
Huge deal breaker for us.

Way too many loads where that snag factor would come into play. Too many times we had a loader who liked to use the walls of the trailer to help slide very cumbersome items to the back of the trailer like the giant propane fixtures and tank on wheels we recently loaded.

Unless you have like dedicated loads/month where you know you'll definitely need E-tracks I'd just go with your other plan of adding closer spaced logistic post. I was wishing that with those propane tanks on wheels that did not lock.

I secured them but it sure would have been easier with closer posts.

I installed e-tracks in my reefer at a height to protect the walls from idiots on fork lifts and hauling cheese loads. They were more rub rails than anything. They were solid 52’ pieces that ran from front to back. I still have the brackets for putting 2X4 across to make false headers too. Much more effective than using load bars.

Logistics posts for the entertainment need to be like every 6-9”. Got a buddy who used to haul them and he ran the circuit for like 8 years before he fell off the face of the earth.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread