local to OTR

Gotta love that overtime pay.

I had a OTR company call me once and said they were interested in getting me on-board. I have been driving for almost 4 years, mainly local, lots of LTL OTR line-haul, intrastate driving.

She asked me if I had any OTR experience.

I said yes.

She asked what kind of equipment.

I said straight box daycab stuff.

She then asked if I have ever driven OTR with a sleeper.

No, I replied.

Oh, we can't hire you because you've never driven a sleeper.

I have probably 300,000-350,000 miles, safe driving I told her.

We want people who can drive a sleeper.

I can but then ended the conversation by saying I don't want to because I make 16 cpm more than what you want to pay for a job that will keep me out two weeks or more, when I have a job that gets me home everyday. Have a nice day.

She stuttered, then said, "Um, yes, you too."

Beotch.

I understand what you are saying zaptear. I understand what she was saying. But, we hired a guy who drove OTR for 6 years. He wanted that local, home every night job. He came on-board, got fired because he couldn't back up. I don't get either.

I don't see how driving a truck with a sleeper on it would have any significant difference over a daycab tractor. WHat is it, 6 or 7 feet longer?

That is ridiculous.

And someone should tell that woman that a sleeper can't be driven, it can only be slept in!

View attachment 15849

I think it boils down to insurance requirements.

How would the insurance be different for over the road, compared to local or line haul?
View attachment 15849

Right now I have a good teamsters job but I was out of work for a bit before this job I have always been local about 10 years ranging from trash Pepsi bulk driver and now Tomra transport driver and some of the stop I back in to can be from the road Down an alley then a blind side alley dock I was told but jb hunt before This job and was told I had no OTR exp and thy would not be able to take me on its ok because right now I have full Benny's and make 20 buck a hr OT after 40 and work 50 - 60 hrs a week mon - fri start at 5

Yeah well, in the wworld of surfs/peasant otr drivers world

Say adios amigos too the $20.00 hr. Pay rate and the superflous bennyz

Cause that chit ain't happenin in the otr world

I think it boils down to insurance requirements.

I would agree insurance companies and DC bureaucrats run the trucking world
Not the trucking. Companies an the drivers

I will give the teamsters that much they do have a better platform an agenda for their drivers

I don't agree much else they do but at least they do that much right

I would agree insurance companies and DC bureaucrats run the trucking world
Not the trucking. Companies an the drivers

I will give the teamsters that much they do have a better platform an agenda for their drivers

I don't agree much else they do but at least they do that much right
You don't make over 20 when the wheels are turning? Of course it goes down when they are not but you don't make 20 plus when they are turning?

Not true unions. Have done. Many good things

And they have done. Many bad things to.

Yes they. Don't give their members. A choice when they.

Use their dues. Money. To donate to the campaigns.

Of commie-crats like Obama.

rigjockey said:
You don't make over 20 when the wheels are turning? Of course it goes down when they are not but you don't make 20 plus when they are turning?

I'm payed either way same rate of pay

I gess I don't know how to drive our back

You don't..... if you can't do that with a daycab and them little bitty trlrs
they haul around

Hell I could back that thing up and down the side fire escape of the empire state building
if I had a truck that small

Wow. I just read through this thread, and although there are some proud drivers posting here, some of you need to study reading and writing. OMG! Good thing you can drive.:rolllaugh:

I gess I don't know how to drive our back

I don't think anyone said you couldn't back up. I know what peddleing freight is like in the city. With a single axle daycab and your tandems slip up, you should be able to parallel park that think in downtown Chicago, which I'm sure you can. :cool::flex:

I drive a twin screw and usually pull a 48' when I peddle. When I do have a 53' I stretch it out. I don't like all that over hang. I had to blindside into and then back down a alley that was located off of a main road, sight side around a corner and then blind side into a dock yesterday. There wasn't any room to turn around back there and they are nice enough to post a sign saying "Semi back in only." My clutch leg was shaking like a dog crapping bones afterwards but I got it in there..... only to drop off one skid at 1200 lbs. Bullshifty is you ask me.

I don't think anyone said you couldn't back up. I know what peddleing freight is like in the city. With a single axle daycab and your tandems slip up, you should be able to parallel park that think in downtown Chicago, which I'm sure you can. :cool::flex:

I drive a twin screw and usually pull a 48' when I peddle. When I do have a 53' I stretch it out. I don't like all that over hang. I had to blindside into and then back down a alley that was located off of a main road, sight side around a corner and then blind side into a dock yesterday. There wasn't any room to turn around back there and they are nice enough to post a sign saying "Semi back in only." My clutch leg was shaking like a dog crapping bones afterwards but I got it in there..... only to drop off one skid at 1200 lbs. Bullshifty is you ask me.

When I'm inbound to Shi*cago, when I get past the last scale house, I run my tandems all the way forward. Usually on whatever exit ramp I get off the interstate from. If I need to, in some places, right at the receiver, I'll run the tandems kinda far back (but not all the way) so I don't have all that swing. It can be kind of confusing trying to line up with a dock with the tandems all the way forward. You have to look at the tires instead of the rear edge of the box.

And see thats what a driver is. You had an issue and you solved it with an easy solution. Work smarter, not harder.

And i'm a better driver than all of you. Yes, even you. I can put my 18 ft box truck anywhere.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread