Motor Carrier Lawmakers reintroduce trucking company hiring standards

Mike

The proposal would put in place first-time requirements for hiring entities to check prior to selecting a motor carrier.

Because limited resources at the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) allows the agency to reach only a small portion of the motor carrier population to assign a safety rating, “there is a huge safety gap that exists” among carriers, with 85% of motor carriers having an unrated safety rating, commented Chris Burroughs, TIA’s Vice President of Government Affairs. “This legislation will drastically improve safety by requiring entities that are selecting motor carriers to check certain data points prior to tendering a load.”

The text of the bill was not yet available. According to TIA, the legislation would require entities to ensure that any carrier they contract to transport a load of freight on behalf of their customer:
  • Is properly registered with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
  • Has obtained the minimum required insurance.
  • Has not been placed out of service at the carrier level for any reason.
Burroughs said the legislation was to have been introduced much sooner but that the coronavirus pandemic and legislation related to it quickly swamped lawmakers’ schedules. He said the timing of the bill also had no correlation with recent calls for more broker oversight by independent owner-operators, as presented by the Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association (OOIDA). OOIDA declined to comment on the hiring-standard legislation.

He said the timing of the bill also had no correlation with recent calls for more broker oversight by independent owner-operators, as presented by the Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association (OOIDA). OOIDA declined to comment on the hiring-standard legislation.

I'm thinking this is exactly why this is coming up now.

3 years into having my own authority, I still have brokers I can't sign up with because of a lack of inspections. This needs to die quickly.

Title’s a bit misleadin

Saw it and was hopin somebody was tryin to pass a law against hirin non-drivin retards that do stupid shit like followin a gps across pedestrian bridges in Milwaukee :whistling:

• properly registered with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
  • Has obtained the minimum required insurance.
  • Has not been placed out of service at the carrier level for any reason.
I thought they already had to do this? If a carrier doesn’t meet these three things it’s not legal to operate.

3 years into having my own authority, I still have brokers I can't sign up with because of a lack of inspections. This needs to die quickly.
Which brokers are these? I’ve had my authority for 12 years and haven’t encountered or even heard of this.

Which brokers are these? I’ve had my authority for 12 years and haven’t encountered or even heard of this.

have you had DOT inspections? In three years, I finally got one driver only inspection A few months ago. Still no vehicle inspections.

Echo is one of the brokers that require the inspections, can’t remember the others off the top of my head. It’s rare to come up in these, but legislation like this could turn it into a blanket policy all brokers are required to follow.

have you had DOT inspections? In three years, I finally got one driver only inspection A few months ago. Still no vehicle inspections.

Echo is one of the brokers that require the inspections, can’t remember the others off the top of my head. It’s rare to come up in these, but legislation like this could turn it into a blanket policy all brokers are required to follow.
I think I’ve had two walk arounds in the last three years. I don’t get many.

I’ve never dealt with echo. I guess they don’t do much in my sector.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread