• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

Just finished school. Turned down TMC for Maverick. Any Advice for training?

sanftner74501

My Name is Rick and I Just graduated from Chattanooga State College and got my CDL today. I applied to 8 places and my top 2 contenders the past few weeks were TMC and Maverick ( got pre-hire letters from both). I finally decided today to go with Maverick (their trucks were what won me over). I talked to the Maverick Recruiter and since I will be in California for My dads surgery July 8-25, I would like to start the orientation on the 31st.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me. Especially since I will be gone from my family house in Georgia for the orientation and 5-6 week training process. What to bring, what not to bring etc. I already ordered a nice XL sleeping bag online.

Any general advice would be greatly appreciated.

How about enough clothes for a week, some laundry supplies (I am partial to those sheets you toss in to the wash that have everything in them, soap, bleach, fabric softner, convenient and compact.).

Toiletries.

Reading materials, i.e. books and magazines, maybe a laptop.

Army has this slogan BE ALL YOU CAN BE and the same in my book goes for trucking.Welcome to the forum and a BIG CONGRATS on getting your CDL.I've never did flatbed to really comment on who's better between your 2 choices but I have heard alot of things about TMC,some good and some bad.Think out of the 2 u made a wise choice choosing Maverick.I think they're more of a laid back company compared to TMC.TMC requires you to keep your trk clean and their shop inspects it everytime you get to the terminal.If it does'nt meet their approval you'll get paid less per mile for so long and if it does meet their approval you'll either get a bonus or more per mile.Can't remember what exactly that TMC driver told me a couple weeks ago.He tried recruiting me,LOL.I would'nt wanna drive for a company that forces you to keep your trk clean.It's like during their off duty hrs their cleaning their trk.
My Name is Rick and I Just graduated from Chattanooga State College and got my CDL today. I applied to 8 places and my top 2 contenders the past few weeks were TMC and Maverick ( got pre-hire letters from both). I finally decided today to go with Maverick (their trucks were what won me over). I talked to the Maverick Recruiter and since I will be in California for My dads surgery July 8-25, I would like to start the orientation on the 31st.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me. Especially since I will be gone from my family house in Georgia for the orientation and 5-6 week training process. What to bring, what not to bring etc. I already ordered a nice XL sleeping bag online.

Any general advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks. I was wondering how much clothes to bring (cause Ill be gone 4-6 weeks with trainer before I go home), but i was thinking im able to do laundry while im at a motel durring his home time.

I didn't wanna cross a line and bring too much stuff and inconvenience my trainer with it being in the way etc.

Bring a weeks worth of clothing.You'll be able to do laundry during your 10 hr brk.If your taking a bus then bring as much as you'll be able to lug around comfortly,1 suitcase and a toiletry bag and that is it.

take clothing for 10 to 15 days. this gives you enough changes between laundry duty.

take personal hygiene products, like deodorants, tooth paste/brush, dental floss (if you use this), soap, shampoo, powder (i suggest medicated for the chaffing you will get), extra pair (or two) of shoes or boots, this allows one pair to completely dry out, shaving supplies, and i'd take a roll or two of toilet paper.

any medications you take, or at the very least, aspirins for those headaches you will get. extra pair of glasses (if you wear them), sun glasses. i'd take at least a sheet or two, leave the sleeping bag at home, it's summer now...

if packed just right, you can fit this all into an average sized soft-sided travel bag...a big hard suit case WILL be a problem...

I just finished training with Maverick last week. What u will need to bring is enough clothes for atleast 3days preferably one pair of pants,shorts, and either jogn pants or shorts as u will need to wear loose clothing the day of your physical exam. U do not have to bring alot of food as they allow u to use company van and go as a group to Wal Mart and they also feed you lunch sun thru thurs. They also give u $50 in cash on mon to buy food for the week. Do not bring more than 1 bag unless totally necessary because u will have to bring bag all belongings with you when u go on road with your trainer and watever he says can't fit u will have to leave in a locker @ Maverick. One pair of shoes is enough. Also they do provide free laundry equipment onsite and detergent is .50. Anymore questions feel free to ask. Hope I was able to help. Also bring your on hygiene products and enough mouthwash to last as somedays u will only be able to gargle and go

Sunflower seeds, bubble gum, small hard candies... something to keep your mouth busy when sleepy hits and your not piling on the pounds eating for a distraction. Sounds absurd but it works for me, or the old standby... caffeine just be aware you'll crash later off of it and it can be a terrible habit to start.

Have fun and pay attention to the road :) Be safe and good luck!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread