Freightliner I need help deciding.....

Alright guys,
Im buying a truck, but I have no idea what to go with....
Volvo VNL 670 or Freightliner Cascadia Evolution

I heard a lot of stuff about both.... I need your opinions.

On an old enough Freightliner you can get just about any General Motors part for a replacement part

You asked so I will answer. :)

Volvo was the kiss of death in North Dakota when I worked the oil fields. NO one was around to work on them. You would have to tow it or low boy it to Bismark or billings dealers. Maybe things changed now cause that was 2013-2014...

Several fld dealers all around in BFE Montana and north Dakota.

Parts for Volvo's are also EXPENSIVE! AND RARE! EVERY WERE YOU GO!
Verses I can go to the frightliner surplus here in Portland and get parts for pennies on the dollar.

Money saved on parts and labor is money earned.

I Had a new Volvo as a company man back in 2011 and loved it. Quiet and comfortable! Like a Cadillac. I loved it! But it was new and was the companies.

If I would to own it I couldn't afford a new one...with the warranty...so I would have to get a cascadia.

BUT even with the possibility of getting a new cascadia I still don't want to get one because of the def regen garbage.

I am looking for a pre 2007 Detroit motored truck and will have to put up with the road noise and no California loads...
But I will save a ton every year in repairs....

Labor is cheaper, parts are cheaper, parts are easy to come buy and every shop will work on them cause there is no special computer software needed to work on them.

My comfort is important but my money is more important to me.
In the long run a volvo is better on your body cause its quiet and insulated. But a FLD is better on your mind cause its less stress and less money going out.

You asked so I will answer. :)

Volvo was the kiss of death in North Dakota when I worked the oil fields. NO one was around to work on them. You would have to tow it or low boy it to Bismark or billings dealers. Maybe things changed now cause that was 2013-2014...

Several fld dealers all around in BFE Montana and north Dakota.

Parts for Volvo's are also EXPENSIVE! AND RARE! EVERY WERE YOU GO!
Verses I can go to the frightliner surplus here in Portland and get parts for pennies on the dollar.

Money saved on parts and labor is money earned.

I Had a new Volvo as a company man back in 2011 and loved it. Quiet and comfortable! Like a Cadillac. I loved it! But it was new and was the companies.

If I would to own it I couldn't afford a new one...with the warranty...so I would have to get a cascadia.

BUT even with the possibility of getting a new cascadia I still don't want to get one because of the def regen garbage.

I am looking for a pre 2007 Detroit motored truck and will have to put up with the road noise and no California loads...
But I will save a ton every year in repairs....

Labor is cheaper, parts are cheaper, parts are easy to come buy and every shop will work on them cause there is no special computer software needed to work on them.

My comfort is important but my money is more important to me.
In the long run a volvo is better on your body cause its quiet and insulated. But a FLD is better on your mind cause its less stress and less money going out.
Pre 2003 if you want out from under emissions.

14 liter Detroit will not get the fuel mileage 12.7 liter Detroit will. The 14L will have better driveability though and better power.

pre 2003 if you want NO EGR.
I can take the egr off easily.
you are not taking regen or def off easily....
So a pre 2007 will work for me.
Its also illegal, and may result in a shop refusing to release your truck until its put back on.

Its also illegal, and may result in a shop refusing to release your truck until its put back on.
LOL
I would like to see that!
I call BS on that one!
I never seen or heard of a shop REFUSING to release a truck back to a customer.
But anything is possible.

I do know the DEALER will refuse to work on your truck, yes.
But not regular shops.

14 liter Detroit will not get the fuel mileage 12.7 liter Detroit will. The 14L will have better driveability though and better power.
Agreeed.
The 12.7 are also much cheaper parts.
A turbo for a 12.7 is 500-800 max.
A 14l turbo is 2,000 and up.

Parts aren't two weeks away by container ship at Freightliner.
Is that why it took Scranton, PA Detroit Diesel three weeks to get a head for a S-60 from Portland, OR? (Two of those weeks, that head sat in New York, 150 miles away.)

Is that why it took Scranton, PA Detroit Diesel three weeks to get a head for a S-60 from Portland, OR? (Two of those weeks, that head sat in New York, 150 miles away.)
sounds like they are just a bunch of idiots....
they had to get it from the furthest place they could find.

sounds like they are just a bunch of idiots....
they had to get it from the furthest place they could find.
It was the only one available in the country at the time. What irritated me was the local courier that was supposed to bring it that last 150 miles just could not get to the pickup point before it closed and there wasn't a thing the shop could do about it. They had a binding contract with that courier.

It was the only one available in the country at the time. What irritated me was the local courier that was supposed to bring it that last 150 miles just could not get to the pickup point before it closed and there wasn't a thing the shop could do about it. They had a binding contract with that courier.
LOL NO WAY! They lied to you if you ask me.
I would of laughed in their face if they told me its the only one in the country.
DID YOU CALL around to the shops who machine those and the dealers who service those?
Those heads are used in buses also. So I would call the bus repair shops also when looking for engine parts....
Maybe they had a "CONTRACT" with that specific shop to buy that head only from them and no one else.
But no way would this country be dry of a Detroit head. Absolutely not!

I spent way to much time at the dealer parts department to even come close to buying that story from them. You should of got on the ph and started calling every dealer you could google and I bet you money one had one in house or knew a machine shop who had on on the shelf. I'd bet MONEY ON THAT!

Sorry about your luck but you need to put some boxing gloves on and not be afraid of getting in their face and calling them out for sht like this.

This is why the dealers get away with the garbage they do. Cause customers are polite and way to nice to dealers and then in turn they get used as a door mate for being polite and nice.

Dealers answer to Daimler and also have standards they have to adhere to....

Probably got it from Pacific power out of Ridgefield WA.

@Injun Don't they have a shop in Spokane WA by the flyin'j there?

Or did they sell it? Used to be listed with a lot more locations on their website.

LOL NO WAY! They lied to you if you ask me.
I would of laughed in their face if they told me its the only one in the country.
DID YOU CALL around to the shops who machine those and the dealers who service those?
Those heads are used in buses also. So I would call the bus repair shops also when looking for engine parts....
Maybe they had a "CONTRACT" with that specific shop to buy that head only from them and no one else.
But no way would this country be dry of a Detroit head. Absolutely not!

I spent way to much time at the dealer parts department to even come close to buying that story from them. You should of got on the ph and started calling every dealer you could google and I bet you money one had one in house or knew a machine shop who had on on the shelf. I'd bet MONEY ON THAT!

Sorry about your luck but you need to put some boxing gloves on and not be afraid of getting in their face and calling them out for sht like this.

This is why the dealers get away with the garbage they do. Cause customers are polite and way to nice to dealers and then in turn they get used as a door mate for being polite and nice.

Dealers answer to Daimler and also have standards they have to adhere to....
Detroit Diesel picked up the motel bill and paid for lost revenue on top of that. I really don't think they wanted to take more time than necessary. Ward Transport (or whatever it the name is) was where the hangup was. They just could not get their driver to Syracuse before 4 pm to pick up that head and deliver it to Scranton. I offered to borrow a pickup to go get it myself. That's what took so long.

I don't know whether Pacific Power is there or not. The KW shop is right next door to the J and there's a CAT shop right in the area. That CAT shop is where one of two dynos are in the area. The other is on the west side of town near the Petro in Medical Lake. The Shaker dealership is by that Petro, too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread