How to avoid screwing up when buying a truck.

and so long as I can keep that non-emissions truck, means that a better emissions systems will show up to get rid of the crap that is on the road.
Exactly!

But only if the megas stop accepting CRAP and hold manufacturers responsible for the junk that's passed off as a truck.

Us lil guys can't do it.... It's gotta be the super fleets.

My trucks lasted 8 years and got another 4 in the engine.

A rebuild there will take it to retirement

In retrospect, if I'd been able to rebuild/replace the engine in that old Star, I probably could have got it paid for in a year or so. The rest of the truck wasn't all that bad. That was when WS was still a rugged beast and it was one of the best driving trucks I'd ever driven. Still would be today.

Best idea of all would have been to park the 72 KW I had hand built and gone driving for someone else until I could have figured something else out. Hell, if I had that old rig down here now, I'd be making out like a bandit given all the plant construction going on and the steel deck, hydraulic winch and knuckle boom. :D

Of course, Gooberments fulla "Smart People" and their proneness to Brain Farts trumps all planning. :biglaugh:

You mean the guy that's 2 nails short of retirement and will never have to deal with shippers that demand newer equipment?
I am nowhere close to retirement.
I told you not to buy that rolling junkyard. I'd driven quite a few of that model year motor & told you they're unreliable junk straight out of the factory and you went & bought a used one. And in addition to that, when it started having problems immediately after you bought it, you didn't take it back. So now you're stuck with a lemon.

Some guys learn by reading. Others learn by observation.
And some guys have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.

Or...I cudda not let you drive it for a week...damn I hadda fix a BUNCHA things after that...
Yeah cuz I was able to detect problems you didn't know about,... Like the fact it was 2 gallons low on oil before I even got in the left seat & you didn't even believe me til I showed you the dipstick.

And then you drove it a few months and now it needs a new motor. :biglaugh:
Non emmision tractors will eventually be gone...we need to get used to that, and we also need to hold manufactures to the fire and demand a quality product like we used to have....when Made In USA actually made ya proud to be an American.
You're not doing a very good job of holding their feet to the fire by paying them to repair their junk or by buying replacement parts from them.

Refusing to buy even the used equipment from these model years will do more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am nowhere close to retirement.
I told you not to buy that rolling junkyard. I'd driven quite a few of that model year motor & told you they're unreliable junk straight out of the factory and you went & bought a used one. And in addition to that, when it started having problems immediately after you bought it, you didn't take it back. So now you're stuck with a lemon.

Some guys learn by reading. Others learn by observation.
And some guys have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.

Yeah cuz I was able to detect problems you didn't know about,... Like the fact it was 2 gallons low on oil before I even got in the left seat & you didn't even believe me til I showed you the dipstick.

And then you drove it a few months and now it needs a new motor. :biglaugh:

You're not doing a very good job of holding their feet to the fire by paying them to repair their junk or by buying replacement parts from them.

Refusing to buy even the used equipment from these model years will do more.
I don't recall you being at the meetings nor asking your input.

I was referring to the flatbed gurus.

Hit any toll booths lately?

I don't recall you being at the meetings nor asking your input.
You probably should have.

Hindsight & stuff.

I was referring to the flatbed gurus.
You mean the two flatbed gurus who are probably reading this thread with a smirk on their faces?
Neither of them have any experience with the emissions systems. But I do. That's why I gave you that friendly advice.

Hit any toll booths lately?
No. Why do you ask?

Are you threatening me? :eek:

:harumph:

tinfoilhatguy.jpg

Exactly!

But only if the megas stop accepting CRAP and hold manufacturers responsible for the junk that's passed off as a truck.

Us lil guys can't do it.... It's gotta be the super fleets.
May i remind you that they are by far more "little guys" out here with trucks then all meaga fleets put together.

Us lil guys can't do it.... It's gotta be the super fleets.[/QUOTE]

Most owner operators and small fleets don't operate anything newer than 07 model year.

Fleets don't have much of a choice when they need to replace hundreds of trucks every year, or have large customers that require they operate in California.

One thing is to avoid a lease/purchase from Dart/Highway Sales! They set you up with the biggest POS they've got, won't let you take it off the property for an outside inspection, REQUIRE all maintanence to be done either in their shop, or the shop of their choosing. They deal in mostly wornout, JUNK freightliners, and heaven forbid it needs something done to it, you MUST go to a freightliner dealer, all the while spending your money to repair this CRAPPY, POS truck they pt you in.
I learned the hard way too. Everyone I talked to, told me of all the lease/purchase programs out ther, Dart was the best. When I walked away from their lease program, my maint. fund was negative $1200. If I had known then what I know now, I would've NEVER even started talking to them.

I bought my first truck in 1969 next one in 1970,71,72,and 73. as years went by,in the 80's sold and traded trucks through the 90's and owned one pete until 2012 and would never think to buy a truck in todays world. I loved to be in a truck it was apart of me.lol life goes on.

There is money to be made out here right now. That said, a recession could break tons of us again in a heartbeat. Right now though, great time to make money.

The survivors won't have truck payments....;)
Everyone has to get to that point though, and most start out with some sort of truck payment, whether it is new or used.

Smart money is on buying a 20K truck, running it for a while, then stepping up into a nicer truck for cash (or refurbishing what you bought). Much of that comes down to your resources though. Resources such as ability, space, tools, and time. Today, I only have the ability. No tools since a divorce a few years ago. Living in a nice house in the city, so no space for the truck to tear it apart, and time at home is 100% devoted to family, not the truck.

So, I'm stuck with a truck payment for now, LOL.

Right there with you.

Having the means to weather light times will be essential. Having a $2500+ equipment payment will be the death knell of o/o and small fleets.

Right there with you.

Having the means to weather light times will be essential. Having a $2500+ equipment payment will be the death knell of o/o and small fleets.

2008 taught the smarter within the industry the importance of a fuel surcharge and sticking to it. It also taught the larger carriers that they can't simply cut rates and outlast the little guys, because it almost crippled them as well.

It's not the truck payment, it is the business model and your needs. It comes down to understanding how to pay yourself and put back into the business. How to take those times where you triple your weekly/monthly income and put all of that money back, rather than going out and spending a couple grand on useless crap for you and your truck.

Businesses go through small stretches where they not only make no money, but they even lose money. Gotta take the high times on the roller coaster ride, and keep it back for the low times.

What I am dealing with right now is what kills 99% of people in lease purchases and/or owner operators with a bank note. After being at home more than I was gone over the past couple weeks, and taking loads of time off during December while I was moving and for Christmas, I left the house, delivered the load I was sitting on, ran a couple more really short loads the next two days, and after 3 days out on the road found myself broke down. My fixed costs ain't going away, my bills at home ain't going away, and I still like to eat. Too many out here never have the money sitting back so they are prepared for this. Granted, nobody can absorb too many situations like this, but you gotta do what it takes to be prepared, because when your stuff breaks, you don't have a company coming to the rescue to take you to another truck the next day.

This is my 4th day sitting at the Dealership, truck wont make it into the shop until sometime Monday (i hope). 3 little bunk rooms here, I am taking advantage of that, and I am being allowed to continue to stay here while the dealership is closed today. How many here would have racked up a $1,000 motel bill during this downtime? $4.50 at McDonalds yesterday for breakfast, simply because I had to get out of here and take a long walk to protect myself and others from my growing frustrations, LOL. Beyond that, I have eaten what I keep in the truck. Today, I will likely open up the wallet and order a Pizza (because the Super Bowl is today, and if I leave the dealership, it may take me an hour to find the guard to open the door an let me back in from the rain). Tomorrow, I will be walking to the convenience store and stocking up on milk, bread, and whatever else I might need to eat/drink while I am here.

Not bragging on myself, but it takes discipline in these situations, because many of us out here would be racking up food and motel bills on a credit card, only to realize at the end of the month that they are further in the hole than they should be.

Oh, and I am glad the dealership opens back up tomorrow, because I just used up the last of their coffee to make this pot ;)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread