Here's some good news for the trucking industry...

SilverSurfer

Old School'd
Con-way Freight opens new Illinois service center

TheTrucker.com
by The Trucker News Service
Published January 14, 2009

ANN ARBOR, Mich. and ROCKFORD, Ill. — Con-way Freight, a less-than-truckload carrier and subsidiary of Con-way Inc., has opened a new service center in Rockford offering next-day delivery throughout Illinois and within a surrounding 600-mile radius. The facility is the first to move into the Rock 39 Industrial Park, strategically located in Rockford’s I-39 Logistics Corridor approximately one hour west of Chicago.

The new service center more than doubles the size of Con-way Freight’s previous operation at 401 Harrison Avenue. The company broke ground on the facility in November 2007.

“From the new Rockford service center, our trucks can drive just half a mile and connect with I-39, I-90/94, I-88 and I-80 -- interstates heading in every direction,” said M. Gregory Lehmkuhl, executive vice president of operations for Con-way Freight. “That kind of quick access is absolutely vital to our mission of providing the best LTL performance, including fast transit times, on-time service and exception-free delivery.”

(more...)

-ss-

I hope this will last.

As your report say's they broke ground in 2007. This means planning started much earlier, when the economy was perceived to be moving along good. They were so far into planning and building they couldn't stop the project. Meaning they had an idea there might be a problem in the market, but they couldn't be sure so they built any way, not realizing how horrible things were going to be.

This caught my attention as well. But to pursue opening this terminal during this current economic situation does give some hope there is a positive direction coming. If it truly was disastrous to their company operations to open this terminal now...they wouldn't do it. They would postpone the opening of this terminal.

-ss-

This caught my attention as well. But to pursue opening this terminal during this current economic situation does give some hope there is a positive direction coming. If it truly was disastrous to their company operations to open this terminal now...they wouldn't do it. They would postpone the opening of this terminal.

-ss-

:tiphat:

I don't believe they would postpone. I think they have to much invested not to give it a try. :sweat:

I wrote a piece on the activity that was going on the T/A truck stop and on I-40 just the other day, that said that there was a lot of traffic, a lot of traffic. This suggested hope that there was a positive direction coming.

It would be good if both observations were right. :clap:

:cheers:

:tiphat:

I wrote a piece on the activity that was going on the T/A truck stop and on I-40 just the other day, that said that there was a lot of traffic, a lot of traffic. This suggested hope that there was a positive direction coming.

It would be good if both observations were right. :clap:

:cheers:
Heck I'll drink to that..lol... But then again 2xR accusses me of looking for any reason for a toast..lol...:cheers:

Should be some freight to run in this area. If I remember correctly, didn't YRC just shut down operations in this location?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread