Handling a semi out of control

Mountainman7

Very chilling video! He may have been going too fast, but the black ice caused him to lose control. Credit for his maneuver to aim for the barrier to avoid the car in front of him. Unfortunately, he took out a car on the other side. No one was hurt according to the news.

Non driving wheel holder.

Ice doesn't cause you to lose control. What causes you to loose control is trying to do too many things at once. For example: accelerating or breaking while making a turn.... Hitting the brakes too hard, etc.

In 14 years of driving semis and box trucks, never once have I even came close to loosing control in inclement weather. You HAVE to drive for the conditions and slow the **** down. I can't count how many wheel holders passed me like I was standing still, only to find them wrecked 2 miles down the road.

Yup that was a HOLY SHIT THEY'RE STOPPED moment.

Going entirely too fast and not looking far enough ahead.

As for his "aiming for the guard rail", I think that was more a case of him being bounced in that direction.

Anybody want a job at Estes?
Should be hiring.

Last edited:
Been a lot of this lately..

This guy got out with a scratch and a bruise. The thing he's sitting in is the remains of a Chev pickup, squished between two trucks.
driver-pinned.jpg

Last edited:
There is no "handling" on Black Ice. You're strictly along for the ride and wind up wherever the mass of the rig and the terrain takes you.

In the video, straight, open road with good visibility for at least a couple of miles. Lots of 4ways flashing and a semi crossways of the road. Dunno where Estes' eyes were but his head was solidly up his butt. The usual driving style of Estes, Fed Ex, Oooops and the rest of these "wiggle wagons" outfits.

I was on Black ice south of Detroit. I went side was to the left and in trying to recover I went sideways to the right. I got it straightened out. I thought my career was over.

Just this season we where on black ice near Cambridge, ON. There was also some blowing snow. Some driver pipes up and says why is everyone driving like little babies in some eastern European accent. Hold on there driver your about to find out in two seconds.

Thanks to the heads up from other drivers and thank God I always have my C.B. on,

Non driving wheel holder.

Ice doesn't cause you to lose control. What causes you to loose control is trying to do too many things at once. For example: accelerating or breaking while making a turn.... Hitting the brakes too hard, etc.

In 14 years of driving semis and box trucks, never once have I even came close to loosing control in inclement weather. You HAVE to drive for the conditions and slow the **** down. I can't count how many wheel holders passed me like I was standing still, only to find them wrecked 2 miles down the road.

Don't forget sending macros on the Qualcomm and juggling the sandwhich and Babbling on the CB all At the SAME TIME

There is no "handling" on Black Ice. You're strictly along for the ride and wind up wherever the mass of the rig and the terrain takes you.

In the video, straight, open road with good visibility for at least a couple of miles. Lots of 4ways flashing and a semi crossways of the road. Dunno where Estes' eyes were but his head was solidly up his butt. The usual driving style of Estes, Fed Ex, Oooops and the rest of these "wiggle wagons" outfits.
I always wondered why those DOUBLES feel the need to drive so gosh dang RECKLESS all the time

I always wondered why those DOUBLES feel the need to drive so gosh dang RECKLESS all the time
That's the nature of LTL. You have tight, unrealistic schedules and no chance of rescheduling appointments without loosing hundreds of thousands of dollars. Some drivers can handle the pressure, some can't.

That's the nature of LTL. You have tight, unrealistic schedules and no chance of rescheduling appointments without loosing hundreds of thousands of dollars. Some drivers can handle the pressure, some can't.

It's not about "handling the pressure" man.... it's about risking the lives of everyone out there with you.

You think this s--ts new? It ain't. Back when I started 40+ years ago we had no logbooks. Drivers ran on Benzedrine with no stopping, no sleep for as long as your system could stand it. You know what? Used to hear that same stupid line from the "best drivers we got" bunch. Safety? That's for sissies. For real men it's about the money.

I watched my best friend burn to death screaming for someone to shoot him. I attended the funerals of a couple of others. I saw more wrecks than I care to think about where the driver lost it and ran over a car or even twice a house.

Straight up dude..... driving like an idiot in bad weather or traffic conditions doesn't make you a "driver".... it brands you as a fool. Doing so because some office monkey tells you to makes you a dumbass. A driver knows his limits and those of the rig he's controlling and paces himself accordingly. F--k dispatch, f--k the company officers. Ask em how they'd like it if it was their family crushed under those wheels. "Sorry you're dead Honey, kids.... but we have this schedule see.....".

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread