GPS Hacker Articles

I can’t wait until they hack the first robot truck and go all Grand Theft Auto with it.

Rule 1 of technology: ANYTHING digital can be intercepted with sufficient knowledge, skill and time.

ANYTHING.

I missed a comma someplace and looking at it now it annoys me but I should have been asleep a while ago.

I have all the way to Minot to think about it too.

Argh.

I missed a comma someplace and looking at it now it annoys me but I should have been asleep a while ago.

I have all the way to Minot to think about it too.

Argh.
Only if you're one of those people who use Oxford commas. 🙄

I can’t wait until they hack the first robot truck and go all Grand Theft Auto with it.
Depends on where.

Ummm, yeah. Be worried. Be very worried...

...the hacker was able to track vehicles in a handful of countries around the world, including South Africa, Morocco, India, and the Philippines. On some cars, the software has the capability of remotely turning off the engines of vehicles that are stopped or are traveling 12 miles per hour or slower, according to the manufacturer of certain GPS tracking devices.

Ummm, yeah. Be worried. Be very worried...

...the hacker was able to track vehicles in a handful of countries around the world, including South Africa, Morocco, India, and the Philippines. On some cars, the software has the capability of remotely turning off the engines of vehicles that are stopped or are traveling 12 miles per hour or slower, according to the manufacturer of certain GPS tracking devices.
Shut it down at 12mph, no control over itself...BAM.

12mph is plenty fast to do damage. Ask Swift, USA Truck, et al.

Shut it down at 12mph, no control over itself...BAM.

12mph is plenty fast to do damage. Ask Swift, USA Truck, et al.
I'll worry about it when I have a active GPS that talks to an ECM, that's actively connected to the internet, via a live mobile service. Oh, yeah, and I've bought an airline ticket so I can go trucking in South Africa, Morocco, India, or the Philippines. Until then...

:thefinger:

These vehicles all have ignition interrupters - an antitheft device that has been wired into them. So I'm not worried, but maybe you should. There was a SNI guy who posted on TTR a ways back that his dispatch shut him down remotely for some stupid megacarrier reason.

Last edited:
I'll worry about it when I have a active GPS that talks to an ECM, that's actively connected to the internet, via a live mobile service. Oh, yeah, and I've bought an airline ticket so I can go trucking in South Africa, Morocco, India, or the Philippines. Until then...

:thefinger:

These vehicles all have ignition interrupters - an antitheft device that has been wired into them. So I'm not worried, but maybe you should. There was a SNI guy who posted on TTR a ways back that his dispatch shut him down remotely for some stupid megacarrier reason.
Reminds me of this old TV show called Bait Car.

Cops put hidden cameras in it and they'd leave it in the ghetto where it would get stolen. Let them joyride a bit then they'd shut it down. Doors would lock too, so they couldn't get out.

Reminds me of this old TV show called Bait Car.

Cops put hidden cameras in it and they'd leave it in the ghetto where it would get stolen. Let them joyride a bit then they'd shut it down. Doors would lock too, so they couldn't get out.
Denver vice cops used to pull a rolling the drunk sting that involved a cop who faked passing out on the street at night with a $20 bill sticking out of a pocket as bait...

My stupid son entered into a 5 year car lone with a well known internet car dealer. After signing they informed him that the car has a tracking device on it, and if he misses one payment they can turn the car off remotely by satellite anywhere in the world. If found and removed, the car will never run without it. Did I mention the interest is 25%!!!! Idiot, I want to say he's adopted. But he's not darn it.

My stupid son entered into a 5 year car lone with a well known internet car dealer. After signing they informed him that the car has a tracking device on it, and if he misses one payment they can turn the car off remotely by satellite anywhere in the world. If found and removed, the car will never run without it. Did I mention the interest is 25%!!!! Idiot, I want to say he's adopted. But he's not darn it.
If it can be installed, it can be removed. I seriously doubt the manufacturers have code to interface with these devices, and that's what it would take to leave the vehicle disabled with the tracker uninstalled. But most folks don't know enough about cars to understand that.

I took a look at it myself. It can't be removed without replacing the CPU. They are linked together. One won't work without the other. Its also tide into the gem module and the alarm module. Would have to replace those as well. Clearly has a satellite antenna on it, also can't be removed. Being a mechanic I was able to determine that replacing the whole car would be the easy route. Sorry to disappoint the two wire guy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread