Good or Bad Opportunity???

Hello everyone! I'm here today looking for some advice. I am a truck driver and enjoy very much what I do. Today I was offered the position of truck dispatcher for the company I drive for. The company wants me to start Monday if I accepted the position. I know that some dispatchers can make a pretty good living for them self and I do have a background in retail management. So besides the obvious pro which is being home every night with my family, I would like to know some pros and cons. I'm not sure if I'm ready to give up driving yet but any input, advice and feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hello everyone! I'm here today looking for some advice. I am a truck driver and enjoy very much what I do. Today I was offered the position of truck dispatcher for the company I drive for. The company wants me to start Monday if I accepted the position. I know that some dispatchers can make a pretty good living for them self and I do have a background in retail management. So besides the obvious pro which is being home every night with my family, I would like to know some pros and cons. I'm not sure if I'm ready to give up driving yet but any input, advice and feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
many dispatchers are on call, when they are at home, or even when they are out at a fine restaurant. i never did any dispatching myself, i know i'd like to hang up the keys and try it someday.

but be prepared to hear every story from truckers that maybe YOU yourself put YOUR dispatchers thru......

pay..?? i dunno...can;t say, but it has to be good at "some" company's and suck at others. for all your time you have to put in. i think however, that would be a salaried job, so if you are working up to 70 hours now, and you feel tht you ain't getting paid enough, just imagine if you work OVER 100 hours and no extra pay....

Thanks for your feedback. The pay we will discuss tomorrow in person. It would be salary. The dispatchers there work Monday through Friday 8 to 5 and work one Saturday a month. They have a contract with an outside company to handle the overnight dispatching.
I also think since I am a trucker I would relate better with the trucker I'm dispatching because I know what goes on out on the road. Most dispatchers only know what's on the computer screen in front of them.

You will have to make decisions that are best for the company as a dispatcher.
Not whats best for the trucker and many times the best thing for a trucker is not the best for the company.
You will have to be the bad guy and make decisions that will hurt the truckers.
If you can't come to terms with that and make those calls, then dont take the job.

Thanks for your input, I understand that part as well from my prior employment in management. I guess my biggest issue is do I really want to be stuck in a 10x20 room with no windows stuck in front of a computer?
I personally think it could be a great opportunity but I also know I would miss the freedom you get driving on the open road.

Two words describe the position.

Baby.
Sitter.

I'll take my office with a view.

My wife road with me last week for the second time in 4 years. She said she can understand a bit better why I love that part of my job.

Have you thought about the consequences of saying no to the company?

If you don't take the job they're offering you now, you may no longer be very high on their list of drivers who get the better loads.

Meaning, saying NO to dispatching may be a bad career move for you with your company.

Thanks for your input, I understand that part as well from my prior employment in management. I guess my biggest issue is do I really want to be stuck in a 10x20 room with no windows stuck in front of a computer?
I personally think it could be a great opportunity but I also know I would miss the freedom you get driving on the open road.
well maybe no windows, but EASIER access to the bathroom, regular breaks, going outside for a smoke or some fresh air, working regular hours, sleep in your own comfortable bed, eat better, a chance to network with others for better office opportunities.

Office Politics and all the BS that goes with it.

You will be the low man and the FNG for all management's F ups and the face of such to the drivers when you have to pass it on to them.

You will be "played" by the drivers looking for "good loads" (high paying) and avoiding "trash runs" (short, lower paying... every company has them). Tell them that you have to be fair and you become the "A-hole who thinks he's too good for us now". Management will be watching you close to see if you're "selling loads" to your "buddies" (aka playing favorites). If they think you're doing that "You're Fiiiired". Your job will be "get the loads out,don't care how, don't care who". Fail to do that every day and "You're Fiiiired". Don't forget the "minority" drivers who are just itching to nail you as "anti-women, blacks,latinos,etc".

Oh, and that cute lil chickie on the front desk with the low cut dress and the big ta-tas??? Fergiddaboudit.... one or more of the bosses are already doing her.

One other drawback. If you give up and go back to driving you then lose all rights to beatch about dumb dispatchers because "You didn't do any better when you was there".

:D

Take plenty of aspirin Monday morning because on the first day of dispatcher school, they bounce your head off a brick wall until your IQ is below 90.

All that first grade math you've been using for trip planning, forget that & use common core instead. It's industry standard. If you use common core math, you can fit two ten hour breaks & 9 hours of driving into a 25 hour period,... with e-logs too. ;)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread