General Reefer Configuration Information Needed

Hello, I just joined the list and I posted a little intruduction about myself in the intro forum. In a nutshell I'm doing some research to help establish"Federal" guidelines for the use of reefers to haul animals (dogs, cats, other critters). As you'll see if you take the time to read my intro I'm trying to be smart, and therefore I've come to the mountain to seek expert information and advice. I did not want to rely on information from my limmitted experience or info from the feds.

Currently (you may or may not know this) the guidelines for hauling animals in reefers suggest that trucks should stop every two hours to ventilate the trailer in an effort to prevent asphyxia. This was based on one test performed in one trailer about 3 years ago. Subsequently, the Feds and others wanted to perform more test to validate their initial findings and to figure out some way to extend the time period between stops to ventilate.

I was brought in to perform this testing as a secondary party to avoid anyone saying there was bias or some other problems with the research. So hear I am. I'm actually conducting a test today which I'll explain more about as time goes along. To start with I have a question or two about the configuration of these trailers and how they operate.

Q1: Do all reefers have drain holes (weep holes) in the four corners of the trailer?
Q2: Do the refrigeration units pull in any outside air at all? I don't think they do but I new I could get strait answers from the people that use them.

Hope to hear back from you soon and thanks in advance! ............... Rhett

Q1: Do all reefers have drain holes (weep holes) in the four corners of the trailer?

The ones I've dealth with only had two... they are located at the rear corners, in the drain trough. There's not much reason to have drains in the front.

Q2: Do the refrigeration units pull in any outside air at all? I don't think they do but I new I could get strait answers from the people that use them.

Maybe a little, but, to reach sub-freezing temps the air has to be recirculated. The reefer unit will only cool a certain amount below the ambient temp (16* less than ambient, I think) so, it has to keep cycling the air it has already cooled to reach super low levels. The air runs down the chute, hits the back doors, falls to the floor, travels back to the front via channeled floor, is drawn back into the bottom of the unit, through the cooling coils, then back into the chute. Each time it cycles it gets a little colder. Introducing fresh air would seriously disrupt this cycle.

my trailer has drain holes in all 4 corners. and as far as fresh air comming in. it does from the leaky doors seals. but not from the unit itself

Gentlemen,

First I want to thank you for your answers. They are very helpful. Second I want to apologize for temporarily evaporating from the conversation. I forgot my user ID. I tried multiple permutations of what I thought it was with no luck. Subsequently I sent an e-mail to the list indicating "forgot user ID or password" and I never got a response. In the interim I was so busy I didn't have time to follow up. Fortunately I have recieved a couple of notifications from the forum about contest, etc. and I noted one minor detail that clued me to what the problem was with my user ID. It worked and I'm back.

I'd like to continue to pick your brains regarding these trailers and I really appreciate your help.

2XR mentioned the trailers he uses only had two drain holes in the rear. The trailer I use as a test bed had four. However, the front two are only visible from underneath the trailer. Their entry to the inside is hidden under a metal lip at on floor across the front of the trailer.

Do you think some of these trailers which you thought had two drain holes actually had four?

I promise not to forget my user ID again and thanks ............. Rhett

Ours have four but they're also all three-zone units. Also, while our don't I see a lot of trailers that have a small door at inset on the trailer door that can be opened to allow for air circulation. I would imagine you would want to test both types of trailers and check the efficacy of the small door allowing for better circulation and more fresh air in the trailer.

Every trl Ive pulled has 4 drain holes. shippers often plug them upon loading.Nice to have holes in front after washout.No matter the angle your sitting at, floor will dry.I like inspection door in back. Allows you to pulp ck your load in transit.It recycles its own air.Probably cant help get some outside air in . It should,ent though.Good door seals are a must.Depends on your co. some want washout after every load,others use common sense(sweep). USDA washout a must.Must have a good shute also.(for produce)cont. run

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread